RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
It also had an intro and possibly an outro adding to the camera positions.

You also get around three copies in differing qualities. One of them being a high quality one. After all, there not going to put the highest quality on the site as people will always find ways around things :whistle: :smile:

rb58

Enigma
What I really want is for someone to take one of those photos where I am in sharp focus but the background is, erm, streaked, so people can see how FAST I was going....^_^ In mine, I look quite serene.

What I really want is for someone to take one of those photos where I am in sharp focus but the background is, erm, streaked, so people can see how FAST I was going....^_^ In mine, I look quite serene.
Well, for a serious answer... Every photographer on the ride is attempting to take 20,000+ photos over the course of 11 hours or less. To achieve that, they deliberately try to get a big depth of field, and reduce movement, so they take them from an angle (front on) where movement relative to the camera is minimised. That allows them to use a smaller aperture and slower exposure without any movement blur.

To get the beautiful motion blur, you need to have a photographer taking photos directly in front of them, with a slower shutter speed, and panning the camera at the same speed as the rider. You'll have to hire your own photographer for that :smile:

Last edited:

sleaver

Veteran
Well, for a serious answer... Every photographer on the ride is attempting to take 20,000+ photos over the course of 11 hours or less. To achieve that, they deliberately try to get a big depth of field, and reduce movement, so they take them from an angle (front on) where movement relative to the camera is minimise. That allows them to use a smaller aperture and slower exposure with any movement blur.
Unless I am reading that wrong, you are not going to reduce movement with a small aperture and slow shutter speed. A small aperture will let less light in and hence the requirement for a longer exposure meaning you will get movement.

To freeze movement you need a fast shutter speed. You can have a fast shutter speed with a small aperture, but you need a shed load of light and/or a high ISO which will reduce the quality.

To get the beautiful motion blur, you need to have a photography taking photos directly in front of them, with a slower shutter speed, and panning the camera at the same speed as the rider. You'll have to hire your own photographer for that :smile:
You'll need a damn good photographer who can nail it first time as panning is not easy unless the person is happy to keep going back for further attempts :smile:. Oh, and to the side, not in front ;)

Jeez, so not only do I have to pay to enter, I have to bring my own photographer too!
Maybe I need to break out the old DSLR, and do a photography session.

Will take payments in form of cake.

Though from a car might be a better way to achieve it

photo-jpg.99063.jpg

rb58

Enigma
OK. The post was hard to read but I doubt they were using a slow shutter speed as that does not reduce movement.
You need the slow(er) shutter speed to blur the background. You keep the rider sharp by panning, and as said above, that takes some skill and practice.

OK. The post was hard to read but I doubt they were using a slow shutter speed as that does not reduce movement.
They chose a camera angle to reduce movement so they could use a slower shutter speed and thus a smaller aperture.

But the real reason there is no movement, is they chose a camera angle to get the most faces in peloton, and that's from the front, where you would never get motion blur in the background.

sleaver

Veteran
You need the slow(er) shutter speed to blur the background.
I know :okay: If you are panning, if not you can still get bokeh to blur the background by using a large aperture but then you need a slower exposure.
You keep the rider sharp by panning, and as said above, that takes some skill and practice.
I know, because I was the one who said it ;)

They chose.....
But the real reason......, is they chose......
The REAL reason they choose that angle was because they were taking portraits of the cyclists.

sleaver

Veteran
To stop movement, this was taken at f/4.0 and 1/1000 of a second

15805376158_c678bb5717_c.jpg

When you don't need to worry about movement and just want bokeh, just use f/2.8

15370530094_1659af704b_c.jpg

Or, if you feeling fancy and want to freeze motion but still get bokeh, you can :whistle:

15805483200_56eb7a587b_c.jpg

Top Bottom