RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
Were they all connected to the assents though or did they just happen to be there. I would guess that they had all climbed hills before but we will just never know.

When I ran the Brighton Marathon in 2013 someone died of a rare condition and even though he had asthma (not connected) he was said to be fit and healthy. He was younger than me as well which just goes to show it could happen to anyone.

A couple of people have said to me that if you put enough people together, things will unfortunately happen.

Out of one marathon, two RideLondon's and Velothon Wales that I have done, someone has unfortunately passed away on three out of the four.

PK99

Legendary Member
So correct me if I'm wrong but in the 3 years of RideLondon there has been a fatality each year, 2 on Newlands (2013/2014) and one this year on Leith Hill. All on the ascents. I'm wondering if this is the normal rate of "expected" casualties from the numbers, and if it is usual to happen on the ascent, as we obviously pick out the dangers of speed and the descent.

the fatalities (at least this and last year, dunno about 2013) have been heart attacks not accidents

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Were they all connected to the assents though or did they just happen to be there. I would guess that they had all climbed hills before but we will just never know.

When I ran the Brighton Marathon in 2013 someone died of a rare condition and even though he had asthma (not connected) he was said to be fit and healthy. He was younger than me as well which just goes to show it could happen to anyone.

A couple of people have said to me that if you put enough people together, things will unfortunately happen.

Out of one marathon, two RideLondon's and Velothon Wales that I have done, someone has unfortunately passed away on three out of the four.

I know the guy who passed away this year was by BBC's accounts a "keen cyclist" and had ridden the hills before. So it's not like he was taking on too much or anything. It's just something worth taking into account with discussions of speed and safety and descents, that the three sad fatalities of this event have all happened on the slow uphill part.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Is an evil hill, tried it twice had to stop both times, just keeps getting steeper and steeper!

I need to go check out White Downs. Heard too much about it now not to. It's just I'm always at the "fark it" stage by the time I get up Leith Hill to the A25, the downhill to Dorking seems so much more enticing!

sleaver

Veteran
I know the guy who passed away this year was by BBC's accounts a "keen cyclist" and had ridden the hills before. So it's not like he was taking on too much or anything. It's just something worth taking into account with discussions of speed and safety and descents, that the three sad fatalities of this event have all happened on the slow uphill part.
Just a thought, but there has been research with more still ongoing into the effects of long distance running has on the human body. However, running has been in the media a lot longer and historically has been a more well known sport that cycling.

It isn't until recently that cycling has become more popular with more and more people entering these events but unless it is hidden, there hasn't been the same level of research. After all, 100 isn't something you can "wing it" after only buying your first bike the week before. So does even the medical profession have a full understanding of what we are doing to ourselves.

My Garmin for example said my average heart rate was 154 with a max of 198 over 7 hours. 7 hours is a 9-5 office job and when you think of it in that context with a heart rate of 154, that is quite scary! Even more so when I know I wasn't pushing myself!

I know what you mean though. Descents are assumed to be dangerous but it is the slow bits where people have been unlucky.

sleaver

Veteran
I need to go check out White Downs. Heard too much about it now not to. It's just I'm always at the "fark it" stage by the time I get up Leith Hill to the A25, the downhill to Dorking seems so much more enticing!
That's a poor excuse ^_^

White Down has a descent the other side and you can then take a nice scenic route through Ranmoor Common onto another descent coming out pretty much at the bottom of Box Hill. Basically what the pros did on Sunday but in reverse when they did those three loops after Leith Hill.

Simontm

Veteran
While you're at it you can do Combe Lane North as well :evil:^_^

swansonj

Guru
Posting in this thread for the first time, but as a non-Londoner I read it all over the last few weeks for various hints and tips for getting to the start in the morning. So thanks for all the advice!

I was meant to be riding it with my wife, and it would have been her first 100 mile ride. We were riding it for The Lullaby Trust, who mean a lot to us as we lost our second child to sudden infant death in 2012.

Unfortunately great plans don't always come to be, and she broke her collarbone whilst out with our cycling club a few months ago. Initially I lost all motivation to do the ride, as my big goal this year was to help her achieve what she thought was unachievable. I wasn't even going to do it. But she and my friends talked me into it. As I've done audaxes and ridden 204 miles in one day, I felt bad asking for donations "just" to ride my bike. So decided to do it in fancy dress, first asking friends for suggestions on what I could wear (keeping within the rules of course) and then putting it to a vote. For some unknown reason, the "fairy princess" outfit won the popular vote so I lined up at 8:42am in my pink top and pink tutu, with a tiara on my helmet and a wand in my back pocket.

As a non-Londoner, getting the registration was a faff, as was the logistics of working out how to get to the start of the ride itself (but luckily a friend lives in Plaistow and I had a super easy ride to the start in the end) but the ride itself was special. Not the closed roads, I got over that pretty quickly, but the spectators on the side of the road, the people who were making a day of it at the end of their driveway, the towns with the music and PA systems. Organisation considering the size of the event was really exceptional in my opinion. I thought the start was going to be a bun fight for space, the fact they chuck you straight out onto a multi-lane carriageway for the first few miles was perfect. Everyone had their own room, including those that wanted to pull over to the side of the road to meet others.

Being... interestingly... dressed I got a lot of attention, and spent a lot of the ride high-fiving people and thanking people for saying I looked pretty. A bit of a change to the commute I must say.

As a daily cyclist around the Mendips, I will admit that the route wasn't at all challenging for me, but I appreciate that there are plenty for whom the day was a massive occasion - including my boss who completed his first ever century at the age of 65. Box Hill was an easy spin, the hill at Wimbledon felt just like a normal commute ;-) I went up it high fiving the charity supporters on the side of the road.

I was in a group who were diverted from Leith Hill, we were sent up Pasture Wood Road although at the time I didn't realise we were being diverted. I only realised we'd missed it when I noticed my GPS didn't match the mile boards. Unfortunately on this climb the whole ride seemed to grind to a halt, as people just stopped dead in the road and filled the whole lane up walking. This was at the foot of the climb. Plenty of shouts of "walk on the left" from others, one lady screamed back "it's not a race" but I've got to admit, I find it easier to cycle up hills than walk up them in cleats so whilst no, it wasn't a race, a little courtesy from all on this section would have gone a long way. Got up by cycling eventually by weaving around people (including those coming to a dead stop). And then on the descent a guy in front of me, four feet from the side of the carriageway, just slammed his brakes on and came to a complete stop for no apparent reason... in the middle of the lane. Cue a cascade of "woah!!" and people going left and right like the Red Arrows.

But other than that, considering the number of riders and range of abilities, I thought most people handled themselves well. I just treated anyone else as an unknown quantity and assumed the unexpected (lucky I did, as the several bike lengths I was leaving on any descent stopped me from clattering into the back of aforementioned chap!) I'm sure I unintentionally moved into someone's path at some point so will forgive anyone that did it to me.

Was really upset when I heard the sad news that someone wasn't going home to their family that night, I figured as soon as I realised we were diverted that it must have been a serious incident and respected any decision to make people skip the hill. The road will be there whenever people want to ride it.

Managed to catch the pros going the other way at Kingston, a total fluke of timing as it's one of the only points that the routes intersect.

Came through The Mall and left with a great memory of being cheered down a finishing straight for the first time in my life. Closest I've had to that was a walking school bus of primary school kids who cheered me up a hill once. Simply The Best by Tina Turner was playing but I'm sure that wasn't just for me in my tutu.

I'd do it again if I wasn't raising money for charity, but purely because I find it hard to ask for donations being an everyday cyclist who does a couple of hundreds and more a year. The roadside support made it so special, I loved seeing people enjoy themselves on the sides of the roads (special shout out to the couple having a picnic on an empty dual carriageway in the other direction to the ride, presumably just because they could). And I'd especially do it if I could complete the ride with my wife. Maybe I'm soft but I will admit to shedding a tear lining up without her. I know she was crushingly disappointed to miss out because of her collarbone, but still drove me to London then stood with our charity at Wimbledon to cheer everyone on. I know deep down that wasn't easy for her to do.
Liked for several reasons but especially:

"The road will be there whenever people want to ride it."

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think Pasturewood must have been quick thinking or an "emergency" option was it wasn't a published diversion and by the sounds of what people have said, it doesn't sound like a road they would pick by choice.
In the blurb they send out they point out that the whole of the finish zone and Green might be closed by an incident, so people need to have a backup plan. On that basis I'd say it was a pre-planned emergency option.

So correct me if I'm wrong but in the 3 years of RideLondon there has been a fatality each year, 2 on Newlands (2013/2014) and one this year on Leith Hill. All on the ascents. I'm wondering if this is the normal rate of "expected" casualties from the numbers, and if it is usual to happen on the ascent, as we obviously pick out the dangers of speed and the descent.
See somewhere above in the thread - my rough estimate is that the heart attack rate is roughly similar to that of the London Marathon, and not unexpected given the population heart attack rate. A heart attack is more likely to happen on a part of the course where there is extreme physical exertion.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
He he ^_^ I've done it once and had to stop so I'm being evil on myself as well ^_^

I think Pasturewood must have been quick thinking or an "emergency" option was it wasn't a published diversion and by the sounds of what people have said, it doesn't sound like a road they would pick by choice.

Is Leith the only real bottleneck to worry about? Would it be possible to opt 2-3 routes (Pasture, Leith, White for instance) and split the field across them as they wished. Flag them as Green, Red and Black routes or some such so people knew which to expect. I think the biggest issue would be keeping the distances similar (and all about 100) I could believe that people who walked Leith would have been more likely to take the cut through option if it didn't result in a shorter final mileage.

sleaver

Veteran
I did actually wonder if there could be different routes of maybe different distances (you could argue there already is but they call them "diversions" rather than "routes") as per other sportives but there is one difference with RideLondon. Closed roads!

They would have to close extra roads which would probably cause more problems than it is worth.

OK, they did two distances at Velothon Wales on closed roads but we weren't the most popular bunch of people in the eyes of some on that day.

Zcapp96

Is Leith the only real bottleneck to worry about? Would it be possible to opt 2-3 routes (Pasture, Leith, White for instance) and split the field across them as they wished. Flag them as Green, Red and Black routes or some such so people knew which to expect. I think the biggest issue would be keeping the distances similar (and all about 100) I could believe that people who walked Leith would have been more likely to take the cut through option if it didn't result in a shorter final mileage.

Whitedown would be a worse bottleneck than Leith as it's even narrower I think. Nice idea in principle but would rely on people being honest about their abilities and knowing the hills before hand to choose which route to take. And can you imagine the arguments on forums after the event for those in the first waves who took different routes as to who actually "won" it!

I did actually wonder if there could be different routes of maybe different distances (you could argue there already is but they call them "diversions" rather than "routes") as per other sportives but there is one difference with RideLondon. Closed roads!

I also think they weren't available as short cuts for the whole day, only becoming optional after a certain time then mandatory later on.

Top Bottom