RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Then you were the chap who laughed and asked him if he had a motor...I was the guy to you right who chuckled at that.

How strange.

How odd, I remember that.

rb58

Enigma
did the Brompton rider who you went up box hill, suddenly put a spurt on at the summit and zoom off like he was on an elec assist bike.

if so, I was riding right next to you!
Possibly, but I left him before the top. Mind you, he was grinding away so I'm not sure he'd have had the legs for a spurt!!

cliveyp

Here is my ride report. I rode my Pearson single speed bike because i knew the late start would make fast riding tricky.
Start time was 8.34, everything ran like clockwork and we were off at 8.34 dead.
The first few miles were great fun, bashing through London. i was doing so well until just before mile 38 when we stopped for 90 minutes, and then got caught in a second stoppege at a narrow bridge in Ripley for about 15 minutes. By now all the riders had bunched up and progress was slow. I must have missed the diversion and was stuck in the middle.
I rode up Newlands Corner with out any problem, being on a SS makes you keep a much higher pace than the granny gear crew. We got to the bottom of Leith Hill at 1.10, but by they the mandatory diversion had been enforced, even though it wasnt due until 1.15, which is a big let down, but maybe they felt the bunched up pack was a hazard.
Got to box hill, which should be easy on SS but the pace was so slow that it made it a propper grind, but
I made it to the top.
Headley annoyed me, with riders incapable of selecting the correct gear on the sharp uphill and eveyone had to stop for another 10 minutes. Just too many riders in a too small space.
After that it was all fun, and I made a rush for home. My legs are much stronger since riding SS so i could power home at a high cadence without much bother whilst others were flagging a bit. My average speed was over 30kph from Kingston into the finish. The Wimbledon hill was my last final grind, but the road is nice and wide so you can pick your route.
My overall time says 7.14, but i think almost 2 hours of that was stoppages. The tracker says it took me 2 hours 54 minutes to get from Hampton court to Newlands Corner , which is where it all went wrong.

You were just in front of us by the looks of it then.
we were going great guns considering our 8.52 start, and cleared the first hub with just over 30 mins to spare before the cut off. With that worry out of the way we eased off a bit, but then lost 1.5-2hrs at Pyrford, then stop start over the bridge at Ripley which put us 20 mins or so beyond the cut off time for Leith. Rinsed Box Hill much easier than I expected to so happy about that, then got caught on the descent by the useless bidders that couldn't get up a short sharp climb, and again in Kingston. With that out of the way, I got my head down, comparatively flew up Wimbledon and gunned it up the mall to cross the line at 3:50ish. Over 7hrs official total time, 5hrs 20 moving.

cliveyp

A prime example of some of the people that cause accidents came past me in Kingston on the way out. Full TT bike, disc rear wheel and lots of carbon. First of all wavering around on the right hand side of the road looking behind. Had to overtake on the left or wipe him out. 5mins later he sprints through the tiniest of gaps on the left hand side. Weaves across to get through other gaps and seconds later pulls right over to the left and stops. No regard for the others around him at all

Glad I got an early start, not so happy about a bloody pot hole approaching Newlands Corner, slight buckled rim, and creased it too, running tubeless it deflated a lot but I walked the 400-500m to just before the hub where a friendly marshall had a track pump, I thought that would be quicker than faffing about with a spare tube. It held OK to the end, thankfully, but must have cost me 10 minutes so I just missed sub 5 hours,that's my excuse anyway. I hope the injured riders are not too badly hurt but news of air ambulances being required doesn't sound good

philk56

Guru
I enjoyed the ride overall again this year but I do feel that they need to cut down the number of riders. Being one of the later starters I was caught up in the problems at Pyrford and took over an hour to get through that. Obviously the accident puts things into perspective and I hope all involved are ok. Once past there it was clear that we would be diverted past Leith Hill and that meant that when we re-joined the main route we were joining all of the other riders who had previously been ahead. This was probably the main cause of the further bottlenecks through Dorking and other places, and a crawl up Box Hill. With the introduction of the 46 mile ride as well, it was clear that the roads were a lot busier on the first part of the route once the first of those groups started catching up. It's great that the ride is becoming more and more popular but I do think there needs to be a limit.

So, for two years running I've been denied ridng the full 100 so I suppose it looks like I'll have to try for third-time lucky!

sarahale

Über Member
I was in the last group to go up Leith hill, we were held there for quite some time due to an accident but the marshals sent us off in small groups so we could cycle the main bit of the hill which I thought was nice! I think all those behind us were diverted round.

rliu

Veteran
Very depressing to hear about a number of nasty crashes. What kind of message does this send out? If I was a parent with my children out spectating and cheering on the participants and either see or hear about someone hitting a tree and needing an air ambulance, am I more likely to encourage my children to cycle? It just reinforces this image of cycling as a high risk sport for a crazy fringe. What is our fixation with every event needing to get 'bigger'? If the original 2013 risk assessment concluded x number of riders was a safe amount, why does 2016 magically become x +5000? The roads have not become wider over those 3 years.

Lee_M

Guru
great day, apart from the delays and not being able to do leith hill because of the queues, but there were some right idiots out, chain ganging in the gutter and squeezing through non existent gaps, and not bothering to warn the people ahead they were coming through. Nearly got taken out on boxhill by someone who did that and then hit the verge crashing into me and pushing me into the girl next to me.

After we got through the main jam for the accident it was pretty obvious what had happened, steepdown hill section with a sharp bend and trees on the corner, just going too fast. Hope they make a speedy recovery though.

Strava woes: Seem to have problems uploading from Garmin to Strava from yesterdays ride, I don't think it's just my device. Connected the garmin last night and the ride to the start and the ride itself uploaded OK but didn't show on my strava activity feed. This morning the ride to the start is there but not the ride itself.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Top Bottom