RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Strava woes: Seem to have problems uploading from Garmin to Strava from yesterdays ride, I don't think it's just my device. Connected the garmin last night and the ride to the start and the ride itself uploaded OK but didn't show on my strava activity feed. This morning the ride to the start is there but not the ride itself.

Anyone else having similar problems?
Mines not on there yet neither

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I thought it was a brilliant day out, accidents not withstanding, I've ridden it every year so far.

Well organised, great support from the crowds, lovely weather, great route. I thought it was FAB the people came out to support it this year, offering food and water, I saw two friends on the route who were tracking me on the App, one brought a flask of tea and malt loaf in West Byfleet, which was very welcome.

It's a shame about the occasional selfish nobbers and the accidents, but it's still a brilliant event. At Pyford in the delay I spoke to loads of folks who where having a great time, raising money for charity, taking part in the ride for the first time it was a huge deal for them, a real challenge, nervous about taking the hills, but really looking forward to riding down The Mall.

Ignore the naysayers and negative twunts, and enter the ride next year, I'm going to.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Strava definitely having issues. I used my Garmin on the commute this morning and it all uploaded correctly. I know that friends had issues with Strava yesterday, but their rides finally uploaded last night. I will be going the manual upload route.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Strava was displaying a "website down" message for a while yesterday evening. If you were doing uploads via some API/non-website route you may not know this. Of course, if you were uploading via the website - you will already know.

I'll definitely be entering the ballot next year. It's not so much that I'm determined to do the event, I'm determined to break my streak of ballot rejections.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I deliberately put a longer estimated time when I registered, so that I wouldn't have to get up so early.
I'll probably rethink that strategy for next year

Wolf616

Über Member
I really enjoyed the cycling bit. The 2 hours of standing and walking not so much. How selfish of someone to try and take a short-cut straight through a tree!

What annoyed me most (I'm not actually annoyed by the delays; I wish them a speedy recovery) was the level of arseholery on show. At the start I was chatting with a friend who I was cycling with about the apparent preponderance of peanuts in cycling - you know the type, flashy bike, full kit, speeding past people without leaving enough space, shouting abuse at anyone not seen to be moving out of their way fast enough - and it soon became evident that our assessment was correct. I know, I know, you have peanuts in every walk of life so the chances are high, but...

The biggest moment of absolute idiocy didn't even involve people being on a bicycle. At one point, during the huge delays at about mile 38, there must have been 10,000 cyclists in a big standing queue (I may be exaggerating, but it went as far as the eye could see in both directions) and a St John's Ambulance needed to get through. We dutifully parted to let it through, and lo and behold about 5 cycling peanuts (refer above for the partial description) were walking along behind it to skip the queue. Talk about scumbags. Wish I'd had my phone in hand to video them and then shame them widely all over the internet.

Sorry, what a negative post. I did genuinely love the experience. The last few miles through London were great as loads of supporters had turned out and it felt like a proper race and all. Will definitely be entering again next year!

As an aside - what other sportives in the UK close roads? I want to do more going the wrong way around roundabouts!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I deliberately put a longer estimated time when I registered, so that I wouldn't have to get up so early.
I'll probably rethink that strategy for next year

It seems to me that the estimated time thing is totally irrelevant considering all the hold ups and diversion in the last three years.

Kominic

Regular
I really enjoyed the cycling bit. The 2 hours of standing and walking not so much. How selfish of someone to try and take a short-cut straight through a tree!

What annoyed me most (I'm not actually annoyed by the delays; I wish them a speedy recovery) was the level of arseholery on show. At the start I was chatting with a friend who I was cycling with about the apparent preponderance of peanuts in cycling - you know the type, flashy bike, full kit, speeding past people without leaving enough space, shouting abuse at anyone not seen to be moving out of their way fast enough - and it soon became evident that our assessment was correct. I know, I know, you have peanuts in every walk of life so the chances are high, but...

The biggest moment of absolute idiocy didn't even involve people being on a bicycle. At one point, during the huge delays at about mile 38, there must have been 10,000 cyclists in a big standing queue (I may be exaggerating, but it went as far as the eye could see in both directions) and a St John's Ambulance needed to get through. We dutifully parted to let it through, and lo and behold about 5 cycling peanuts (refer above for the partial description) were walking along behind it to skip the queue. Talk about scumbags. Wish I'd had my phone in hand to video them and then shame them widely all over the internet.

..........and breath.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
...The biggest moment of absolute idiocy didn't even involve people being on a bicycle. At one point, during the huge delays at about mile 38, there must have been 10,000 cyclists in a big standing queue (I may be exaggerating, but it went as far as the eye could see in both directions) and a St John's Ambulance needed to get through. We dutifully parted to let it through, and lo and behold about 5 cycling peanuts (refer above for the partial description) were walking along behind it to skip the queue. Talk about scumbags. Wish I'd had my phone in hand to video them and then shame them widely all over the internet.....

I saw that too, a group I was standing near booed them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As an aside - what other sportives in the UK close roads? I want to do more going the wrong way around roundabouts!
Etape Caledonia has been going for a while. Etape Pennines I think died the death recently. Velothon Wales started last year.

I did Velo Wales last year and really enjoyed it. It goes through an area near where I used to live, so it had lots of memories.

Top Bottom