RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To leave them lying around and expecting some poor sod on the minimum wage to pick they all up - sorry but that is unnecessary and selfish, you lazy scruffy b@stards. Rant over !
To be fair, some of the riders riding away through Hyde Park as I rode in about noon looked as though they were too tired really. They looked zoned out, blank behind the eyes. I rang my bell a few times to get them to look up, move left and not ride straight into me (and it would have hurt them far more than me on my folding tank). They would probably have forgotten their bike if it wouldn't cause a problem cycling home.

mjr

I think if they want to maintain the 46, they'll need to cut the numbers for the 100
Why will they? Most of the serious crashes seemed to be after the 46ers had turned off the 100 route or after the merge point after most 46ers had passed, as expected by the timings. I can see an argument for reducing the numbers for the 100 anyway because of the congestion in Dorking holding up the pro race, but I don't see how the 46 caused any more problem. I think the 46 route would be safeguarded for use as an emergency diversion anyway, like a few others.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The one thing that did really annoy me was the sight of 100s of discarded goody bags in Green Park. Either don't get one - they are not compulsory or take it home to bin. To leave them lying around and expecting some poor sod on the minimum wage to pick they all up - sorry but that is unnecessary and selfish, you lazy scruffy b@stards. Rant over !

Totally agree, I think the goody bags are unnecessary and should be scrapped, it's mostly a load of old tat anyway.

rugby bloke

Veteran
And as for the carpet of gel wrappers on Box Hill yesterday evening.
Amen to that - so many discarded gel wrapper around the whole course. No consideration to anything or anyone but themselves.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I think Strava is still struggling with the volume. My ride eventually uploaded but many of the segments are showing me as having my third best time on them when I'm pretty sure I've only ridden them once before (on last year's ride)! If I try to select just my times nothing happens. I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually...
Yep it's showing mine as "2nd's" and I've never ridden them before?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Did you miss the bit about it being a ride not a race? :smile: Why can't people 'dodder' (I expect your perception of what dodder is, for me, 15-17 mph is fast and adequate to complete the ride in the allotted case) along in that case?

I think if they want to maintain the 46, they'll need to cut the numbers for the 100
You misunderstand me, I hope I wasn't a "nobber" but it's laid out before you start about road positioning etc, I passed a lot of people and in turn got passed by a lot of people! Not everyone rides at 16 mph.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Chucking gel wrappers is completely unacceptable.
I get that it's a pain to hang on to them, but that's what you need to do. Or do what I did and buy a couple of these. Bonus, you don't need to fiddle around trying to rip the wrapper open.
prod_thu_33037.png

mjr

Chucking gel wrappers is completely unacceptable.
I get that it's a pain to hang on to them, but that's what you need to do. Or do what I did and buy a couple of these. Bonus, you don't need to fiddle around trying to rip the wrapper open.
prod_thu_33037.png
And then throw it on the floor for some poor rider to crash over? :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, if they copied the pros properly they'd hang on to their wrappers until they got to a "rubbish zone" or whatever they're called. You often see the pros doing a mass pocket-empty in such zones.

Rather than copying the pros I think they are just nasty unthinking litter louts.

Top Bottom