RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Fortunately I have a iron coated digestive system and can consume pretty much anything without adverse effect.

I had one of those caffeine shots from the hubs and what a strange consistency that was!! Took a while to get it out of the packet let alone swallow it down lol

I'd be cautious following that recipe as it is written. Leaving rice out to cool to room temperature, and then carrying it around all day in summer would put you at risk of food poisoning.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2009/01/27/2475255.htm

Also, it looks like the stuff that kills japanese grandparents https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/05/nine-people-choke-to-death-eating-rice-cakes-in-japan

There were some "nobbers doing the route and one comes to mind as we were going up box hill one rider came through and although he did say coming up on the right he then went on to say to anybody in his way "move".

If that was Box Hill he came past me as I was trying to do the same,didn't hear him say move just "passing right";I actually went past someone as he I heard him and he then said "or accelerate",told him I didn't want to slow down and he laughed:laugh:

Did anyone see the the two guys, dressed as LADIES riding the Dawes Kingpin shopper bikes, I chatted to the for a while?

I said to one of them "nice dress,oh and good beard mate" and he said 'thanks':smile:

Did you miss the bit about it being a ride not a race? :smile: Why can't people 'dodder' (I expect your perception of what dodder is, for me, 15-17 mph is fast and adequate to complete the ride in the allotted case) along in that case?

No it's not a race but there is some who will be quicker than others it is usually common practice that the right side is left for faster moving peeps and a call is made when passing(right or left), otherwise everyone gets in each others way.

Thoroughly enjoyed it yesterday and thought on the whole that the riding wasn't too bad yesterday;some bods not paying attention and some chain gangs bombing it down the outside,but that's sportive for you.Think the thing with this event is that there is a really wide range of abilities from fast club riders to charity riders who have probably not done nearly enough training or preparation all mixed up together.

Thought that on the whole it was really well organised;we signed in straight away on Saturday afternoon with no waiting and our wave went off dead on time and apart from a couple of blokes laying down asleep the marshalling was really good.

Got around in 5:48 with all four of our club team finishing together;we did get split up at one point but joined up again after Box Hill.27.8kph/17.2mph average so not too shabby.

Would like to do it again myself if I can get in:rolleyes:.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's as maybe but calling someone a dodderer is an offensive as speeding nobber

I did it last year and the etiquette about calling out passing was decidedly lacking. An extremely aggressive manoeuvre by female club group sticks in the memory and I've posted previously about idiots carving through the crowd on box hill

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But you could just have a table full of water bottles and snacks in the location where they are handing the bags out.
You know that early finishers would take multiple ones and leave the last people bereft. Besides, there were at least three snacks in the bag, plus the water, and who has four hands?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not to mention that the goodie bags were probably a source of revenue with advertisers paying to have their tat handed out

beermonster

Über Member
A prime example of some of the people that cause accidents came past me in Kingston on the way out. Full TT bike, disc rear wheel and lots of carbon. First of all wavering around on the right hand side of the road looking behind. Had to overtake on the left or wipe him out. 5mins later he sprints through the tiniest of gaps on the left hand side. Weaves across to get through other gaps and seconds later pulls right over to the left and stops. No regard for the others around him at all

We had this guy passing us a couple of times, seemed to be dangerously out of control most of the time. On the run back into London we were all being held back by a couple of motorcycles with flashing orange lights to slow us down for safety reasons and this fool comes flying through everyone weaving from one side to another at high speed!
As we queued for our medals at the end he was there too, no numbers, timing chip or anything! C**k

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Slower time for me this year, 5:37.01 (as opposed to 5:25.58 last year). I felt I rode it better than last year, though, and the slower time was more the result of the congestion caused by the accidents and the sheer numbers. I had a later start time, which didn't help matters.

One thing I'll remember for next time is not to over hydrate before the off, I had to get off for a wee at 10 miles and the queue for the toilets (all two of them) was 16 deep.

I saw the guy/girl down at Ripley, with about half a dozen people attending to him or her and an oxygen mask being fitted, that looked very bad. About half a mile after I passed the scene I heard the sound of the helicopter.

There was also a very bad one which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the media, somewhere between Leith and Box Hills as I recall; everybody was stopped on a descent, we went past in single file, two ambulances were in attendance and the right hand lane as we looked at it was taped off, there were bits of bike, three helmets and a sizeable pool of blood on the ground..?

Big congestion at Leith Hill due to numbers, I was on the extreme right trying to pick my way past and I kept getting blocked (inevitable really). Same at Box Hill; I blasted it up it last year, and fell off this year due to a brain fart as someone cut in on me (apologies to the fella I took out, if he's reading this; he sensibly took a tumble himself rather than run into me, for both our sakes). It actually opened up a slight gap, so I smashed up the hill, only to get caught up in the mass again.

Sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not really; it's a very well organised event and very enjoyable. And the gong was fantastic, lovely bit of tin. A 6am start next year would be nice, however, instead of 7am :okay:

DiscoSpider

Regular
There was also a very bad one which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the media, somewhere between Leith and Box Hills as I recall; everybody was stopped on a descent, we went past in single file, two ambulances were in attendance and the right hand lane as we looked at it was taped off, there were bits of bike, three helmets and a sizeable pool of blood on the ground..?

I remember seeing this. I was stopped on the descent but not that far from the bottom - about 3 tyres popped behind me at this point from the braking.

By the time I went past the poor bloke was on a stretcher, there was also a younger girl sitting on the road, upright with a glazed expression, shock, behind the ambulance. I think that compiled list of crashes mentions it (lost the link and author, sorry!) if I connected the dots correctly.

sleaver

Veteran
So now that I am semi-back in the land of the living, more on that later, it was a good enjoyable day but obviously it is sad to hear about those that are less fortunate.

As always, the start was well organised and the marshals did seem to be policing the colours along with start waves and while most did listen to them, there were a few or just ignored them and carried on. In a way, it was funny watching people have to walk back to a later wave when they had tried to sneak in an earlier one, especially as some were trying to hide their wave letters while walking in the opposite direction.

I can't remember where it was but I saw someone with a number from the 46 mile event on the 100 course. Unless he had trained for 100 miles, I bet he got the shock of his life when he got to 46 miles and wasn't seeing Buckingham Palace!

Got sent off on time and then most of it has already been said. I too got held up at Pryford and while we were all standing still, there was this "pop" followed by a long "hiss". Yep, while standing still someones tyre/inner tube decided just let go. Not quite sure how that happened! Anyway, by the time I got to Newlands, people were coming from the road on the right, so that was obviously the diversion, however, Newlands didn't seem that congested which was good.

On to Leigh Hill and got stopped just before where it narrows due to the congestion. Fast forward to re-joining the A25, and that diversion had been opened up as there were riders coming from the left so I'm not sure by how much I missed that by. I had planned on enjoying the fast descent into Dorking, but decided I couldn't trust those in front so just went with the flow and freewheeled down the fast bit. Then onto the next pinch point, getting into Dorking.

Saw a man on a Borris Bike on Box Hill past the second hairpin but about 10 meters later, he was getting off to push it. Fair play to him though for doing the full 100 (I'm assuming he finished on it). Then another pinch point at that uphill section after Headley.

I had written a long paragraph about the different speeds that people ride but I'll leave it as, yes, its not a race, but that doesn't mean that cycling etiquette is thrown out the door!

Anyway, at was all rather plain sailing, bar Kingston congestion, to the finish. At 10km to go, I was feeling rather good, so decided to give it the beans albeit thinking I had just done 150km. In the end, the tank run out at 3km to go and so just took it easy to the finish.

I think the organisers need to have a think about if this is an event to get people out cycling or if they want to do what they did to the marathon and make it a "cash cow". OK, both events do generate a lot of money for charities but with runners, they take up less space and are less prone to blocking roads if the unfortunate happens. I think someone else mentioned it but maybe they have now found or passed the max number of riders they can have.

As for the "semi-back in the land of the living" comment. What I learned was that if you haven't ridden a bike in three weeks, and only done two rides of 100km since last years event, its possible to finish, but boy have I felt it since. I woke up this morning and nearly every which way I moved, something hurt, but to put it in perspective, thats not as bad as others.

I've done RideLondon three years in a row now, twice the full distance, and unless something in my mind changes, I'm going to let others have a go now at the 100. I want cycling to be about having fun and to keep fit. Where I can decide to rest all weekend or wake up late and go for a shorter ride in the evening, not about thinking that I HAVE to do long rides just to get ready for a 100 miler. Don't get me wrong, the three years have been fun, with the soaking of 2014 probably being the most memorable, but its time to keep cycling enjoyable for me :smile:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
On the whole training thing, I was bricking it coming into this ride having done a last minute 'training ride' the weekend before of 50 miles and getting home on fairy dust, got my nutrition all wrong on that (non existant basically, water and a banana). Other than that, I did another 30km flat ride in July and a bit of commuting the month before that. Laziness and buying our first home sort of got in the way of any intentions to train!

Regardless of all that, I made sure I ate plenty the couple of days leading up to Sunday and got a good nights sleep on Saturday night. I was nervous at the start but the general flow suited my pace so I didn't overdo it keeping up etc. In fact, the first 37 miles before the obvious stoppage I was averaging 18mph on the nose, thats better than my average on my local 30km flat loop!

I took it easy through the hilly bits, made sure I stopped every now and then to top up on food / drink supplies and I stayed relatively strong throughout. I had a couple of moments where I could feel the power going out of the legs so I just tucked in for a bit and ate some more food. At around 75/80 miles I caught up with my mate who started 25mins ahead of me. After a quick chat and fist pumps I pushed on as I was feeling strong. I reckon I averaged 18/19mph for the last 20 miles, with a sprint finish on the Mall.

I also feel pretty good today and haven't had the usual ravenous for food feeling, I'm slightly nervous that its going to all hit me tomorrow lol. I think I gained 4/5mph through every town as the crowds really were an amazing motivator. The finish at the Mall was an absolute highlight for me, unrepeatable experience!

I really do hope that those that were injured in anyway make speedy recoveries. I passed a couple of people on the deck with plenty of claret on show and it was (for me at least) a sobering reminder of how real the danger of serious injury is if you just lose concentration for a few moments in a busy group.

Overall I really enjoyed the event, I'll be entering the ballot again and this time working harder at getting some more mileage in beforehand, I want to attack the hills next time, not just survive them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom