RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Did anyone else find themselves getting eaten to bits whilst stood at the start, awaiting their wave load. I found a few, tick like bugs, sucking volumes of blood out of my legs. Itchy little buggers!!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
That's as maybe but calling someone a dodderer is an offensive as speeding nobber
Yeah that was my point, can't we just all get along?

.Think the thing with this event is that there is a really wide range of abilities from fast club riders to charity riders who have probably not done nearly enough training or preparation all mixed up together

That is tarring everybody with the same brush.There were probably a lot of regular cyclists who went down the charity route because they didn't get in on the ballot.That's the way i went,trained hard and it paid off in me finishing at the mall still feeling fresh.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Anyone witness the complete prat cycling DOWN Wimbledon Hill? And not being particularly slow at it. He wasn't part of the event, just a regular joe prat with zero patience or sense.

I went down to Wimbledon at the start of the hill for a couple of hours to cheer on the riders. Witnessed all kinds of bikes, and riding ability.

Well done to everyone that finished, sad to hear about all the issues - my view is the numbers are way too high for the event. Possibly even were last year imo. A bit of common sense needs to take place and appreciate that not everyone rides at the same level, speed, or expertise - that goes both ways. Riders will ride how they want and to the speed they feel comfortable, and while the organisers can't improve peoples common sense, or respectfulness, they can at least minimise issues by not packing in more and more riders each and every year - the roads aren't getting any wider after all.

Anyway, one thing riders normally miss at Wimbledon is to the right of the bend, where lots of stalls are out, BMX dudes are doing what BMX dudes like to do, and balloons are twisted and contorted into all shapes and sizes for the amusement of little people.

irbHJy5l.jpg

pXAjyadl.jpg

Went to the Wimbledon bend at the base of the hill...

H424Ydul.jpg

ODbKKYTl.jpg

yTUlbBul.jpg

tePlAbzl.jpg

HjdoUkVl.jpg

oIUQ9Dql.jpg

569KeH5l.jpg

TOpK4pFl.jpg

dQ7aFrml.jpg

LorheR7l.jpg

Then relocated to a short way up the hill. Some found it to be the final straw with cramps a plenty on show, across from me seemed a popular "F**k It Zone", while there were some (mostly Bianchis) that kicked the motors in and zoomed away up the hill at an incredible speed. By motors I'm making no allegations!

There were plenty of shouty zones, with enthusiastic young shouty people shouting words of encouragement. I tried my best too, though as someone else told me, my words were probably met with a giant "pee off!" in most riders heads.

TRhBop6l.jpg

Apologies for some of the shots, HDR and moving things don't always go well with each other.

g2eWY5ll.jpg

zFqxKu4l.jpg

fyNNA8ml.jpg

wdPSQEzl.jpg

Vl3mCqJl.jpg

569KeH5l.jpg

EL58UyFl.jpg

Attachments

• 569KeH5l.jpg
    569KeH5l.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I too got held up at Pryford and while we were all standing still, there was this "pop" followed by a long "hiss". Yep, while standing still someones tyre/inner tube decided just let go

You must have been right near me then, as I heard that happen too, close to where I was standing.

shortone

I had a craking day.
Early start time of 06:32 so the roads were quiet and ment my experience was completely different to a lot of those behind.
So many happy stories and some not so happy ones.
Other than being bitten to death waiting at the start it was a good paced ride with not too many cocks.
Managed 4:46 which I was very haapy with.
All in all 4 very good days spent in London.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The official photos are expensive considering the quality. Will have to check out Flickr they normally do better if you don't mind going through a few hundred pics, :okay:

sleaver

Veteran
You must have been right near me then, as I heard that happen too, close to where I was standing.
I was going to try and describe where I was, but then I decided a a map and a dodgy red and blue dot would be easier ^_^ The red is roughly where I was and the blue roughly where the tyre let go. The car park obviously being the village hall.

upload_2016-8-2_10-55-23.png

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hmm, maybe not then, as I was near the top of the hill. Could have been someone else whose tyre went.

Top Bottom