RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I will go in the ballot with a view to ride it on a fixed gear. I did a charity place this year, but don't think I could con people a second time to sponsor me for doing something I love and do every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will go in the ballot with a view to ride it on a fixed gear. I did a charity place this year, but don't think I could con people a second time to sponsor me for doing something I love and do every week.

Fixed ???:notworthy: Bloody hell, if I had to do it fixed it's be 34-32 so I'd be able to get up Leith, and from what I saw around me yesterday they'd be a few others too in the same boat. I'll probably try the ballot again, I was close to a sub 5 this time so want to give that one last go

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Fixed ???:notworthy: Bloody hell, if I had to do it fixed it's be 34-32 so I'd be able to get up Leith, and from what I saw around me yesterday they'd be a few others too in the same boat. I'll probably try the ballot again, I was close to a sub 5 this time so want to give that one last go

To be fair, I would expect to walk Leith, but everything else is flat enough. I would also need to use brakes on some on the downhill bits.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend and I plan to apply for the 46. A colleague did it having done the 100 previously and said she enjoyed it more, less pressure around training and logistics :smile:
Does the 46 go past the central London landmarks? That would get the fun part done, but avoid the less fun parts (walking up Leith with a billion other cyclists, feeling obliged to complain about nobbers, etc) It would also enable me to lay to rest my irritation at not being able to get in through the ballot.

Hmmm. I have a Brompton-based plan forming ...

rb58

Enigma
To be fair, I would expect to walk Leith, but everything else is flat enough. I would also need to use brakes on some on the downhill bits.
I contemplated riding fixed yesterday, but chickened out and went with gears. I ride 67", so Leith would have been a walker for me for sure. And I hate walking. If I get a 2017 place, I'll probably do it fixed just to make it a different experience. Coming down off Shere Hill (Newlands) will be interesting though!

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the 46 go past the central London landmarks? That would get the fun part done, but avoid the less fun parts (walking up Leith with a billion other cyclists, feeling obliged to complain about nobbers, etc) It would also enable me to lay to rest my irritation at not being able to get in through the ballot.

Hmmm. I have a Brompton-based plan forming ...
Indeed. It basically skips the hills, other than Richmond Park and Wimbledon :smile:

It's also a ballot so not a guaranteed place (I don't know how many applications there were to places, of which there were 3500)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I will attempt to get it back on track. I will go in the ballot with a view to ride it on a fixed gear. I did a charity place this year, but don't think I could con people a second time to sponsor me for doing something I love and do every week.
My gearing was 48-18, but i rode it SS with a free wheel, not fixed.
Leith would be a walker, if i had been allowed that way, but the other hills are manageable.
I will enter the ballot again, and depending on my given start time i will ride fixed. Any start time after 7am is going to be busy.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Ballot opens on Monday the 8th August.

Who's entering?

Not a chance. Did it the last two years and this time it was dangerous. Far too many idiots on bikes with no clue how to ride in a group. Nearly taken out 5 times.

They need to seriously cut the numbers before they have even more deaths.

Top Bottom