RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It depends whether the chip reading technology has got transmission to base built in.
There is a live rider tracking app, so yes there is.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Looking through the rider times it seems that about 10-12% do not start (assuming no chip failures). That seems quite a high number to me.

swansonj

Guru
Dorking was a problem on Sunday. There is a bottleneck at the West end of the High Street, at the end of the one way system. Clearing the queue through there was the reason for holding the road race up for a while.
I did wonder why they didn't open up the A2003 - station road, chalk pit rd, ashcoombe rd- as a parallel route to increase flow once it became obvious a problem was building.

sleaver

Veteran
Dorking was a problem on Sunday. There is a bottleneck at the West end of the High Street, at the end of the one way system. Clearing the queue through there was the reason for holding the road race up for a while.
Does anyone know if the same bottle neck has occurred in the past when they have opened up the Leith Hill diversion and the last riders from Leith Hill have converged with the riders on the diversion?

philk56

Guru
There was a similar bottleneck at Dorking last year but that was initially caused by a collapsing barrier. It's quite a narrow street so once riders start dismounting at the front there is an obvious chain reaction rippling back and it builds up from there.

steverob

Guru
I had much the same query. When I entered this year's ballot (didn't get in BTW), the form did ask me for my finishing time for when I did it last year as well as my estimated for this year - but as that year's ride was affected by the Leith Hill closure, I wasn't sure what to put. If I put down that I did it in 5:55 last year (which was true, just it was over 92 miles not 100) would that then flag up a discrepency with my estimated time of 6:40 (roughly what I would have expected to get if I'd done Leith Hill) and make it less likely that I'd get a place?

But now that it's three years in a row that have been heavily affected by detours and shortened distances (storms in 2014, accidents in 2015 & 16), I guess they'll realise that these previous times all have a massive asterisk beside them and it's not something they can use easily to judge future performance.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Interesting. Where did you get the data?

Well, I started downloading the data page by page with a bash one liner (
for page in {1..213}; do wget -O ride100_$page http://results.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/2016/?pid=list\&num_results=100\&page=$page && sleep 5; done) then my friend sent me all the data in a csv when I told him I was doing it. I guess someone had already downloaded it all. Then I did a bit of perl (
perl -ln -e 'for my $seg(-6){$split = (split/,/,$_)[$seg];$split=~s/:\d\d$//;$out{$seg}{$split}++} }{ for my $seg(sort keys %out){for (sort keys %{$out{$seg}}){print "$_,$out{$seg}{$_}" }}' rl.csv > rl_47.csv) to split into minutes for each split and count, then I dumped each mile file into excel and created these graphs.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It is a question of what there is.

I was thinking of trying to get every riders' start time and doing a bit of data on that and producing something with a number of riders passed vs number of riders that passed you, but unfortunately the data on the official site doesn't include the time that the rider crossed the start line, only relative times.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No, it's the time on the road for each rider.
Thanks jdog, it is very interesting, my time on the road was 7.14 which seems to put me bang in the middle of the second hump.
To a non statistical mind the graph seems to demonstrate quite well the effect of that 60-90 minute delay.
The first two graphs taken at the various timing points show a fairly tight curve, which you would expect to broaden out over the 100 miles, but by 47 miles the two curves are clearly visible.

rugby bloke

Veteran
....Continued 2

krL5sp0l.jpg

TdESuONl.jpg

fGkHxYBl.jpg

vMemBzil.jpg

rSn7srxl.jpg

fZXMXiIl.jpg

uAMW4bRl.jpg

Bple9xgl.jpg

RapGdQGl.jpg

8rasNs9l.jpg

TrSbiHEl.jpg

7eNhiEgl.jpg

gccs7Ltl.jpg

wE5I80El.jpg

KChB1eel.jpg

eCyAdLzl.jpg

swHbAdIl.jpg

zoQ5558l.jpg

vGjGqWml.jpg

Hr5B0Zll.jpg
I think you managed to get me in one of those photos - White and purple Epilepsy Society jersey ... Clinging on for dear life after attacking the bottom half of the climb !!

Top Bottom