RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snail Bait

What value are you going to put on missing out when claiming damages?
So far this looks like £200+ of wasted entry fees. Wanted a pb at the Triathlon tomorrow but still painful so not sure if I'll even finish the swim and a 10k swim in a month looks about as likely as someone knocking on my door and offering me a shiney new Brompton. I always knew there was a reason why I didn't like Putney. Poxy place!

vickster

Legendary Member
So far this looks like £200+ of wasted entry fees. Wanted a pb at the Triathlon tomorrow but still painful so not sure if I'll even finish the swim and a 10k swim in a month looks about as likely as someone knocking on my door and offering me a shiney new Brompton. I always knew there was a reason why I didn't like Putney. Poxy place!
Are you claiming against the driver? If so, you can add the lost fees to your out of pocket expenses within the claim.My 2014 Ride London fee is part of that, I provided the withdrawal email and the clinic letter from the surgeon when he 'strongly advised' me not to take part. Ok I pulled out two years ago and haven't yet seen a penny but I'm sure I will eventually!

Snail Bait

Are you claiming against the driver? If so, you can add the lost fees to your out of pocket expenses within the claim.My 2014 Ride London fee is part of that, I provided the withdrawal email and the clinic letter from the surgeon when he 'strongly advised' me not to take part. Ok I pulled out two years ago and haven't yet seen a penny but I'm sure I will eventually!
I didn't even take their details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've written a longer summary of the day on my blog (see my sig below) if anyone is interested. Too long to put on here.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Can't believe a week has gone by. I loved the ride last Sunday, and even if I I did suffer hours of delays I feel that somehow my passion for cycling was re-ignited.
Sadly, have had a ridiculously busy week at work and home, so apart from some trivial commuting have barely touched the bike. Would have gone out tonight, but guests have only just departed from our afternoon BBQ, and I'm still feeling uncharacteristically inebriated. I reckon tomorrow night is the night.

Anyhow, I wanted to mention a lass I was chatting to at the Leatherhead hub circa 2:45pm.

... she had moved to the States a couple of months ago, but flown back specially for the LondonSurrey100 (with her bike too). "No way I was gonna miss that" she said, so she must have been absolutely gutted when she had a catastrophic rear derailleur fault at the bottom of Box Hill, snapping something vital (hopefully just a hanger).

I guess I would have considered an on-the-spot singlespeed conversion, but a friendly local resident jumped to her assistance and provided a loan bike instead. She was a bundle of gratitude when I chatted to her, with faith in humanity well and truly restored.

Didn't catch her name but it sounds a fairly unique story and I've love to hear more if anyone knows what happened to her. Hopefully she finished okay and got her own bike back.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It depends whether the chip reading technology has got transmission to base built in.
There is a live rider tracking app, so yes there is.

Not necessarily. As I understand it, they time at certain points on the course, and extrapolate from that to provide a best guess to the live tracking app. It's fairly accurate, as long as there isn't something unexpected, like a 1 hour hold up.

It depends whether the chip reading technology has got transmission to base built in
Not necessarily. As I understand it, they time at certain points on the course, and extrapolate from that to provide a best guess to the live tracking app. It's fairly accurate, as long as there isn't something unexpected, like a 1 hour hold up.

I assumed "chip reading technology" meant the chip readers, ie the mats in the road and the computers connected to them. Those certainly have transmission back to base. The individual riders do not, of course. They do on the transcontinental, and trans america.

They know the location of most of the riders within 5 miles (or however far the mats are apart). I can't imagine any more detail would help them see congestion better.

Tim Hall

I've written a longer summary of the day on my blog (see my sig below) if anyone is interested. Too long to put on here.
Norry, when I click on your sig I get to a blog about your Lejog ride and can't find anything about Ride London. This could very well be down to me not looking properly.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I assumed "chip reading technology" meant the chip readers, ie the mats in the road and the computers connected to them. Those certainly have transmission back to base. The individual riders do not, of course. They do on the transcontinental, and trans america.

They know the location of most of the riders within 5 miles (or however far the mats are apart). I can't imagine any more detail would help them see congestion better.

Yes, the mats definitely do.
I didn't think they were as close together as 5 miles. I could be wrong. 5 miles would certainly be sufficient.

Top Bottom