RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
This was me I think, had a pump but never used it and though it was no good. Realized yesterday that it was actually compatible presta after all, I panicked in the moment ! Practice makes perfect I guess.

You saved my ride, that I enjoyed very much throughout the end. In essence change my 6 month long training conclusion. Thanks a lot for that ;)

Kay.
No problem, we all need some help at some stage. It must have been stressful - I got to my wave with about 2 minutes to spare before it closed so a puncture would have thrown my timings completely. Glad to hear you were able to complete the ride.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
No problem, we all need some help at some stage. It must have been stressful - I got to my wave with about 2 minutes to spare before it closed so a puncture would have thrown my timings completely. Glad to hear you were able to complete the ride.

From what I saw unless you were in the last wave you could simply join the next wave after yours. Loads of Ds were being turned away and told to just join the E group when it started moving.

But good on you for helping out, always nice to offer a hand to a roadside cyclist in need.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
From what I saw unless you were in the last wave you could simply join the next wave after yours. Loads of Ds were being turned away and told to just join the E group when it started moving.

Yes, the ride instructions explicitly say that's what you can/should do if you're late for your wave.

I went through the arch to join my wave (Pink F) just in front of a lady rider with a Pink A number who was greeted with a "Blimey, where have you been?" from the marshal.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On the other hand some of the pedestrians were dozy. I don't ever particularly ever again want to shout "Stop, Stop" at a crocodile of several dozen schoolchildren (at a guess, first language not English) while hauling on the brakes knowing that we were all at risk of being run over by several hundred cyclists chock full of adrenaline and only just warmed up.
The email from the organisers came through today with links to our photographs and videos. Fortunately the video evidence supports my memory of events! There is a very large group of people trying to cross the road without looking, we get down just about to walking speed, and I'm very glad I didn't swear.

Two more random anecdotes. At the end @rvw showed me that she'd lost a bolt from her cleat. We were sitting looking at "Dr Bike" from Cycling UK and a number of other tents laid on by major bike brands, but neither of us twigged that between us they might have had a spare cleat bolt. Which in turn would have meant that in the very frustrating ride across London we wouldn't have had to stay stuck in traffic but could have repaired to the pavement - and the kind rider who acted as an impromptu soigneur and unstrapped Mrs W's at Euston Square would have been able to get on his way earlier.

And in Richmond Park at the drinks stop we pulled in behind a sag-wagon to have a bite to eat and a swig of some liquid. Some park employees were talking on the walkie-talkies - "There's a young man just coming through the path". "Oh yes, I see him. I'll approach him quietly". Not, as I initially thought, a hoodlum on a bike, but a young stag in danger of getting spooked by tens of thousands of visitors to his ranch.

No, it's not a race. But I don't see any problem in treating it as a personal time trial - why else give us all timing chips and have a clock at the finish?

I'll admit to being mildly interested to see how far up (or, in my case, down) my age group I finished. If that makes me sad, so be it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvG_5N0Y516cFhjUlRKUDZFVk0/view?usp=sharing

I can't get the document to work on my phone. Can anyone find me and tell me where I finished within my age group, overall and how average I am. Rider 13209 with 6:42 total time.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

If anyone ever doubted that closing a road to traffic improves air quality...

(Via road.cc. I believe it was also road.cc that observed that the bike thief in @User13710's post looks remarkably like the person caught in similar circumstances a few years ago.)

SirDickieBird

No experience of Ride London, but on the "it's not a race" front, no it's not but everyone I know who's ever done a marathon has known their time (some to the second) as it's a good personal challenge. None of them think they've won or lost or were hoping to challenge the pros and haven't thought of it as a race but do want to know their times.

sleaver

Veteran
......everyone I know who's ever done a marathon has known their time (some to the second) as it's a good personal challenge. None of them think they've won or lost or were hoping to challenge the pros and haven't thought of it as a race........
Marathons are called races though and as such, they release results in time order.

The marathon I ran had bronze medal status by the IAAF. Just because I ran it in 4 hours instead of just over two, doesn't mean I was subject to any different rules. There was not a separate start time for the pros and us mere mortals but while in the same race as the pros, I knew I wasn't racing them. My race was between me and my target time.

That is the difference. RideLondon isn't officially classed as a race full stop (insurance reason is one reason why I believe) and so they don't publish an ordered finishers list. However, people will have target times/PBs they want to beat and it seems that gets mixed opinions on if that person is then treating it as a "race".

Reactions: mjr

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Cyclists need a licence to take part in a race. If the organisers wanted to call RideLondon a race, they could include the cost of a day licence in the entry fee. But it's not a race, it's a sportive.

I don't care if people call it a race, I only care about them riding safely and not putting others at risk.

Reactions: mjr

sleaver

Veteran
Similar to the seemingly pedantic intolerance in running circles of misuse of the word "marathon" to mean something very long, rather than specifically 26.2 miles.
The amount of times I've heard people say "Oh, how long was that?" when you say that you've run a marathon other than London. Its a marathon, its the same damn distance :evil:

If the course wasn't 26.2 miles it wouldn't be a marathon. Just like if a 10km course was 9.5 km, it wouldn't have been a 10km.

By the way, what this "pedantic intolerance" you speak of :laugh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
NC: Yeah, but how long did it take? What time did you do?
Me: Under the terms of the Geneva convention I do not have to divulge that information.

Embarrassed about how slow you were? ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing your times informally, and it's a point of interest whether you're racing or not - people like to get an idea of how long it takes to ride long distances. It's only publishing a list of finishing times that is forbidden.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, it's not a race. But I don't see any problem in treating it as a personal time trial - why else give us all timing chips and have a clock at the finish?
Personal time trial, huh? I hope you avoided drafting anyone or letting anyone draft you, then!

As DaveReading says why else have timing chips when we could all measure our elapsed time with a wrist watch?
So you can rely on the official timing system that's hopefully a bit more reliable and robust than a wrist watch? Also, it probably helps to avoid the farce of mass pile-ups in front of Buck House as exhausted riders try to stop their two or three watches and bike computers after crossing the finishing line.

However, people will have target times/PBs they want to beat and it seems that gets mixed opinions on if that person is then treating it as a "race".
Wanting to beat a specific time (rather than simply beat the broom wagon) on such a big event seems a bit bonkers because you're far too dependent on things beyond your control, such as whether you get into a group going at a suitable speed, whether there are incidents or congestion ahead of you and whether the hub(s) you choose to stop at get congested.

If the course wasn't 26.2 miles it wouldn't be a marathon. Just like if a 10km course was 9.5 km, it wouldn't have been a 10km.

By the way, what this "pedantic intolerance" you speak of :laugh:
What are you doing posting here instead of the RideLondon-Surrey 99.6 thread then? ;)

sleaver

Veteran
What are you doing posting here instead of the RideLondon-Surrey 99.6 thread then? ;)
Ah, RideLondon isn't an officially recognized race that has to meet strict course measurements so that .4 of a mile is OK :thumbsup: If it was a marathon and got found out to be short, then all results would be annulled.

Still not getting this ""pedantic intolerance" business :whistle:

Top Bottom