RideLondon - Surrey 100 anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Anyone else going to be doing this?

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co....__Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100.htm

Am particularly interested in those who, like me, have taken up cycling in the last 6 months or so, or those who dont rack up crazy good times or speeds on their routes (again, like me lol).

Im pleased with what Ive done so far, but also getting the nagging feeling I need to up the game somewhat soon. What felt like a long time to go (August 4th) suddenly seems a lot closer.

Spally

Missed out on the first ballot, but may see if Blisscharity (what they do is close to my heart) still have places. But is 4 months long enough for training?

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I'm doing the ride. I have a charity place for beating bowel cancer. I've only been riding regularly since October. I've ridden 1,500 miles through the winter and the longest I have ridden is 50 miles but that was on a calm day in January.

I too am feeling that I need to up the training. The challenge for me is that I weigh 21 st but even though I am very big, I am fit. I've got a week off work this week so have been planning my training. This involves a change of diet and a training schedule.

I got in 26 miles this morning and plan similar rides over the next couple of days. My average speed tends to be just under 12mph which I'm happy with given the weight I am carrying. I have been concentrating on speeding up my cadence which is helping to improve my endurance. I know I will complete the ride with 4 months training and dropping a couple of stone.

Realising there is only 4 months to the ride has given me the extra motivation to get out on the bike and train rather than just riding.

It will be a great day.

Longshot

Yes, I got a place in the ballot.

I started riding again last year (after a 20 year break) after buying a bike on the C2W scheme and then doing some training in order to do the London 2 Brighton overnight in July last year which was 70 miles. I survived that with energy to spare!

However, I've had a quiet winter and am now beginning to ramp up my training. I'm actually spending more time in the gym losing weight and building strength than on the road but that will change over the next few weeks. I'm going to do some longer group rides over the next few months including a couple of local Bikeathons and probably the L2B overnight again.

I'm mid-40s and currently the wrong side of 17 st so have a fair bit of work to do. The concept is a bit scary to be honest but I fully intend to complete it comfortable within the 9 hour limit even allowing for Newlands Corner and Box Hill!

When I trained for the L2B last year I started off doing 10 mile rides at about 11 mph. By increasing this bit by bit every weekend I was quickly able to do 25 miles at 14+ mph without pain or discomfort. I'm aiming to up this by another level or two before August.

At the moment, I haven't signed up for a charity but am analysing the various offers and quality of free jerseys!

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I'm doing the ride. I have a charity place for beating bowel cancer. I've only been riding regularly since October. I've ridden 1,500 miles through the winter and the longest I have ridden is 50 miles but that was on a calm day in January.

I too am feeling that I need to up the training. The challenge for me is that I weigh 21 st but even though I am very big, I am fit. I've got a week off work this week so have been planning my training. This involves a change of diet and a training schedule.

I got in 26 miles this morning and plan similar rides over the next couple of days. My average speed tends to be just under 12mph which I'm happy with given the weight I am carrying. I have been concentrating on speeding up my cadence which is helping to improve my endurance. I know I will complete the ride with 4 months training and dropping a couple of stone.

Realising there is only 4 months to the ride has given me the extra motivation to get out on the bike and train rather than just riding.

It will be a great day.

Good stuff. I have a slightly reverse problem to yourself, I haven't got so much weight to pull (12.5 st), but I am unfit. And I think a lot of my weight is body fat so I am also changing my diet to cut out the potatoes and pasta. Which is very tough!!

Longest ride to date so far for me was 55 miles, in 4 hours 35 mins. My big thing apart from general fitness is hills. Really need to get my technique better, when I stand I feel my legs turn to jelly. And there are some proper hills on this route.

Yes, I got a place in the ballot.

I started riding again last year (after a 20 year break) after buying a bike on the C2W scheme and then doing some training in order to do the London 2 Brighton overnight in July last year which was 70 miles. I survived that with energy to spare!

However, I've had a quiet winter and am now beginning to ramp up my training. I'm actually spending more time in the gym losing weight and building strength than on the road but that will change over the next few weeks. I'm going to do some longer group rides over the next few months including a couple of local Bikeathons and probably the L2B overnight again.

I'm mid-40s and currently the wrong side of 17 st so have a fair bit of work to do. The concept is a bit scary to be honest but I fully intend to complete it comfortable within the 9 hour limit even allowing for Newlands Corner and Box Hill!

When I trained for the L2B last year I started off doing 10 mile rides at about 11 mph. By increasing this bit by bit every weekend I was quickly able to do 25 miles at 14+ mph without pain or discomfort. I'm aiming to up this by another level or two before August.

At the moment, I haven't signed up for a charity but am analysing the various offers and quality of free jerseys!

Congrats on the riding after such a long break, must have been weird getting back on the bike! Obviously haven't lost it though!

I took a drive around the course from kingston down thru the Surrey Hills part and back to Wimbledon and I have to say, its not Newlands Corner or Box Hill we should all be worried about, rather Leith Hill. Bleeding nightmare!!! Highest point on the route.

Im going to take a train down to Newlands to do that part of the course (Newlands, Leith, Box Hill then back thru Leatherhead, Cobham, Esher, Kingston and Wimbledon) in the next few weeks so Ill have some experience, and some Garmin data to look at.

Get through that 25 - 30 mile stretch and the rest is pretty straightforward save for the mileage.

kedab

Veteran
Anyone else going to be doing this?

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co....__Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100.htm

Am particularly interested in those who, like me, have taken up cycling in the last 6 months or so, or those who dont rack up crazy good times or speeds on their routes (again, like me lol).

Im pleased with what Ive done so far, but also getting the nagging feeling I need to up the game somewhat soon. What felt like a long time to go (August 4th) suddenly seems a lot closer.

didn't get a place - wasn't happy. being the kind soul that i am i donated my entry fee, so i've got the shirt...meh :dry:

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
didn't get a place - wasn't happy. being the kind soul that i am i donated my entry fee, so i've got the shirt...meh :dry:

Why didnt you do what I did and take a charity place? That way you got a shirt, got a place AND supported both the race and a great cause? :smile:

Spally

on the plus side for me i'm mid 30's and weigh not a lot so it's not hard for me to get my fitness back. Just got confirmation from the charity place so i will be spending a lot of time on the bike, both on road and on my trainer. looking forward to it now, as you say should be a great day.

kedab

Veteran
Why didnt you do what I did and take a charity place? That way you got a shirt, got a place AND supported both the race and a great cause? :smile:

i didn't look into it too much - thought if i got the ballot that'd be sweet but with many of the charities isn't there a minimum amount they require you to raise and if you don't reach that target, then you're liable for the rest of it? essentially owing a debt?

i was actually quite happy to donate the entry fee...ignore my liberal and random use of emoticons :rolleyes:

Iain M Norman

I got a place. I'll be 40 next year. I'm not exactly slim at 100kg (16 st) either.

I managed a 112km (70mile) ride the other day in 4 hours, it is possible to be fat and fast with a bit of training.

Worst case you'll have 9 hours to finish. If I was averaging 12mph I'd want to work on getting that avg up a bit to be sure of making it in time.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
i didn't look into it too much - thought if i got the ballot that'd be sweet but with many of the charities isn't there a minimum amount they require you to raise and if you don't reach that target, then you're liable for the rest of it? essentially owing a debt?

i was actually quite happy to donate the entry fee...ignore my liberal and random use of emoticons :rolleyes:

British Heart Foundation had a £50 minimum amount! Go see if they have any places left. I went with Cancer Research UK, didn't care they had a £650 minimum amount, they are a charity close to my heart.

I wanted to get thru the ballot too, but seeing as I was a little drunk when I signed up, and I smoked, and I didn't own a bike, Im not overly surprised they probably put me as a low priority!

Now I own a bike, don't smoke and don't get nearly as drunk anymore so I dont sign up for silly things like cycling 100 miles within 9 hours...

EDIT:

I got a place. I'll be 40 next year. I'm not exactly slim at 100kg (16 st) either.

I managed a 112km (70mile) ride the other day in 4 hours, it is possible to be fat and fast with a bit of training.

Worst case you'll have 9 hours to finish. If I was averaging 12mph I'd want to work on getting that avg up a bit to be sure of making it in time.

Definitely working on that average speed, have already picked up since that ride, but need to test it against the distance, or close to the distance, sure I will slow down under more miles and I need to keep it up as those hills will wither the average down massively.

kedab

Veteran
haha! 'rushing past' , would depend entirely on how far in...dribbling and begging for mercy by mile 30 because i've gone off all gung-ho as always, is more like it :ohmy:

Tubbs

I got a place. Although I've been commuting for years, recently it's been quite on and off due to circumstances beyond my control. When I do commute it's a 16 mile round trip, 3-5 days a week. I've started to add in long weekend rides that are quite hilly but literally only just started this. I'm doing 40 on Sunday. The longest ride I've ever done was about 55 miles but that was over a year ago now and involved a pub stop ;-)

Other than that I did the Great Manchester Cycle last year which was 26 miles and took me 1hr 29 mins (it's very flat!) I'm doing the 52 miler this year so I'm hoping that will give me a bit more practice riding in a group.

So, I don't have a great deal of experience, but I'm pretty sure I can complete it in the required time. I just need to practice fixing a puncture faster and putting my bottle back in the cage without crashing into anyone. They are my biggest concerns at the moment. ;-)

Top Bottom