RideLondon-Surrey future in jeopardy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
The future of the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey cycling event continuing in Surrey beyond 2021 hangs in the balance.

Surrey County Council (SCC) has proposed Surrey does not take up the option to support the event for a further five years, with decision to be made by cabinet on October 27.

SCC will instead support, as previously agreed, the reduced Prudential RideLondon-Surrey cycling event in 2021.

Beyond 2021, the council’s focus will switch to smaller, community-led cycling events, encouraging a greater variety of participants whilst minimising disruption for residents.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/ridelondon-surrey-future-event-surrey-19115740

Move the event to another county if you ask me Surrey was always a weird place to hold this event

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Would you still start it in London?

Surrey is not all that weird because you get your London landmarks finish and there is a manageable urban escape route via Richmond Park and some other green spaces down that way that gets you into ... Surrey. If you want to start in Central London and go to, say Bucks then you have a right urban slog to get out of the North of the city. Ditto South. It's not that hard to go East into Essex, especially if you start from the Lee Valley but then you don't have the majestic world-renowned alpine ascent of Box Hill, feared and respected by cyclists the world over. (Although you do have North Hill, Little Baddow, I suppose)

Wherever you hold a multi-thousand rider mass participation 100 mile event it will be an absolute nightmare to organise, so good luck to them.

Tongue in cheek?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What do you suggest...? 'RidePreston-Lancashire, not London-Surrey' has a certain ring to it, but it would be a bit of a trek for the southern entrants! :okay:
............we could drop in Jubilee Tower, The Trough, Birdy Brow, Waddington Fell and Whalley Nab!!!! 😄 I still remember asking a guy riding beside me when we'd get to the Newlands Corner climb? "You're on it mate" was the reply! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
............we could drop in Jubilee Tower, The Trough, Birdy Brow, Waddington Fell and Whalley Nab!!!! 😄 I still remember asking a guy riding beside me when we'd get to the Newlands Corner climb? "You're on it mate" was the reply! :laugh:
Basically resurrect the Pendle Pedal/Bowland Beast and rename it!

Was that a cyclechat ride?
Did a great round pendle ride in august between lockdowns.
Yes, take it north.
Pic from top of nab to bring back memories for paul.
Road drops soon after that for some severe brake testing.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Did a great round pendle ride in august between lockdowns.
Yes, take it north.
Pic from top of nab to bring back memories for paul.
Road drops soon after that for some severe brake testing.
View attachment 552811
Thanks, haven't seen it for a few weeks.

This was a sportive around 2007/8. Colin will have a much better memory than me. It was evil, truly evil, taking in every major climb in the area. ALL the big stuff!!

Which is why Ride London at 5,000 feet in 100 miles is flat! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That would be fun. An extremely tough ride from what I recall.
This was a sportive around 2007/8. Colin will have a much better memory than me. It was evil, truly evil, taking in every major climb in the area. ALL the big stuff!!
167 km and about 3,000 m of climbing (104 miles and 10,000 ft, for those who prefer imperial units).

(Loop tackled anti-clockwise.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is there such a thing as a Ride Yorkshire mass participation event?

I seem to recall you can do one of the stages of the Tour of Yorkshire as a sportive, but of course that's not quite the same thing.

A Ride Yorkshire could be good from the cyclists' perspective, but there would be the same problem of push back from some residents.

Top Bottom