Rider down, Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It is worrying when you read of such stories, but thankfully they're comparatively rare.

threshold

What a tragedy, close to home for me, and just shows you can never be complacent when out ther.
Sympathies to the family, there but for the grace of God....

rh100

RIP

Right on my doorstep. As said above there is no room for overtakes, at that time of day is very busy. Really very sad.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
The link doesn't work anymore but does anybody know what actually happened?

My brother was at my house tonight and he works right by there. He said a friend was four cars behind and got out to help - he said the friend saw all the other cars just make their way around the accident rather than stop to help or anything. Unfortunately the friend who stopped didn't actually see what happened.

Bro says that the road was closed for ages and that the Police were testing the brakes on the lorry for a long time after by driving the lorry and slamming on the brakes to see how fast it was going by measuring the skid marks on the road.

Sounds like a terrible accident - I didn't see anything in the news about it - is the accidental death of a cyclist not that newsworthy? So very sad ;)

Crankarm

Guru
Just like the homeless man in New York who intervened to help a woman being assaulted who was then himself stabbed by her assailant. She didn't help him but buggered off. He then lay bleeding to death on the pavement for hours people walking around him as he tried to summon their help as he slowly died. They even crossed the road to avoid him. He finally died without a single person helping him until it was too late.
So the accounts of people not stopping and driving around this fatally injured cyclist doesn't surprise me. Shocking.