Rider Safety - time to act?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Is there a facepalm emoji?

oldroadman

Veteran
Is there a facepalm emoji?

Can't see a real issue here, pass well timed, nobody in any danger, probably the official car getting out of a narrowing gap as the trio were messing about near a finish. Anyone who has ridden or worked on races at a level where there are lots of vehicles knows how it all works. No one is out to hit anyone else.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... riders give zero space, or maybe half a metre at most. This allows no error room and the NEG guys say it's a worrying thing ... I asked about some comments about a minimum passing distance (a metre or two), at which point he smiled and said "that's up to riders, not motos, if they won't give us the space we would not be able to do the job".

As I understand it, in the Demoitié accident the moto hit the crash group from behind, which if true means the moto was in control of the space available; and the impression I had of the incidents we saw last year was that they were situations of moto encroaching on riders, rather than the other way round.

As you suggest, all of these things are problems and wise heads are needed.

I seem to remember there are UCI regs governing moto experience and training, but I may be misremembering.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... riders give zero space, or maybe half a metre at most. This allows no error room and the NEG guys say it's a worrying thing ... I asked about some comments about a minimum passing distance (a metre or two), at which point he smiled and said "that's up to riders, not motos, if they won't give us the space we would not be able to do the job".

As I understand it, in the Demoitié accident the moto hit the crash group from behind, which if true means the moto was in control of the space available; and the impression I had of the incidents we saw last year was that they were situations of moto encroaching on riders, rather than the other way round.

As you suggest, all of these things are problems and wise heads are needed.

I seem to remember there are UCI regs governing moto experience and training, but I may be misremembering.

oldroadman

Veteran
One thing I am aware of, in UK the motos on NEG duty are all trained to a high standard. Looking at the website they need to have advanced riding qualifications, then you are allowed to do an online training, pass a theory test, then do as many races as the examiners think is necessary before being let loose at small races. Again, the structure is laid out and only those who get to the upper levels are on big races. Shame there's not something similar for car drivers. It seems that BC's NEG have a very good safety record, possibly even better than some of their overseas counterparts. yet talking to a friend who is in NEg a few days ago, he said that jibes and comments have been coming from a few riders "don't run me over today please", etc. The amount of internet trolling from no-nothings (or know-very-littles) affects UK domestic races - what's that about. From what I've seen, some riders in races I've watched need to have a look at their own skills before criticising anyone else's.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Maybe time to revive this thread once again in light of the crashes at the Olympic Road Races. It's actually quite important that we don't concentrate on that course as 'uniquely dangerous' even though there are specific things that are different at the Olympics.

What can we learn from the RRs to add to this conversation on rider safety?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
To be honest, I've discussed the RR course with some friends and come to no conclusion. Was it more dangerous than some of the alpine descents we habitually see in the vuelta for instance? Or was it a really dangerous descent because in a one day race more risks are taken since there are no chances to claw back time?
If you take any corner too fast there is a risk of injury so one tempers reckless speed with prudence.
I'm not sure of the answers and mention it in the spirit of enquiry.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
The roadsides were awful with gullies and big kerbs, but not one fall that I saw was caused by the course - all rider mistakes. ps. I didn't see what happened to Porte.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Maybe time to revive this thread once again in light of the crashes at the Olympic Road Races.

Although it does mean we're now discussing the same thing in two separate threads...

The roadsides were awful with gullies and big kerbs, but not one fall that I saw was caused by the course - all rider mistakes. ps. I didn't see what happened to Porte.

I don't think you can tell. Someone in another thread suggested van Vleuten's line was wrong, but that can be affected by road surface. We didn't see Thomas', Nibali's & Henao's or Porte's accidents, just the aftermath. Thomas in interview said that his accident was caused by his rear wheel skipping on a ridge in the surface and locking up.

toffee

Guru
It's not so much as the cause but the injuries that were result of the roadside structures. Van Vleuten's injuries would have been much worse if she had landed on the kerb. The attempt to put bales in front of a few pointy buts of kerb where just a joke.

Derek

Viking

IMO, the Olympic course, itself was OK. The skill of balancing high cornerning speed versus having an off is all part or racing. However, the area where I think the course was unsatisfactory is in the penalty for getting that balance wrong. AFAIK, the Nibali and Henao crashes were "normal"; they overlooked it, fell and broke bones. That happens in lots of races but they were lucky that they didn't hit the kerbs where their injuries could have been much worse. In the women's race, the inadequacy of the safety provisions, rather than the course itself, were exposed. It was horrible to watch, I feel angry that it was passed in that condition and getting a corner wrong shouldn't involve a potential life-threatening penalty.

(But it also happens elsewhere e.g. Sportives where people come off and hit a tree and so on)

oldroadman

Veteran
On another thread someone suggested that all race convoy personnel should be first aid trained. Which implies that they would stop doing their prime job and look after a rider as necessary. Nice thought but it wouldn't happen. You may end up with cars and motos stopped in the road then hit by other riders. best that everyone does their own job properly, not turn into amateur medics. I note that there is a quote "two minutes to get to Van Vlueten". Which in a strung out race is what might be expected, even if medic motos were through the inevitable barrage which would be on at this point following the final climb.
Obviously as quick as possible is what's required, but if it's endangering others then that's not correct.

Top Bottom