Rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keenbfb

I'm a big lad bugger this kilos nonsense I come in at over 22 stone. As others have said wheels are going to be your biggest concern, you either go the route of handbuilt wheels with a high spoke count (expensive) or just go with what's already on the bike. The second option is what I went with for the first few years and suffered the odd broken spoke ( a few quid to have it sorted at the LBS ). I tend to run 25mm tyres and have slime in the rear inner tube, I'll worry about losing the weight off my stomach before I worry about the weight of the bike, put some electricians tape in your saddlebag so you can tape up a snapped spoke and continue your ride a spoke key also comes in handy to make emergency adjustments to a buckled wheel to get you to work on time. Above all just get out on the bike and enjoy the freedom it brings you.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'll go along with @Keenbfb , but I'd go with what you've got first. When I restarted cycling I was a great deal heavier than what I am now, a tad less than he but quite comparable. I'm also 6'3" or so. I've never had a problem with regular factory wheels, running 28mm tires. Yes, I've broken a spoke or two, but not any more than others have. Bicycles and wheels are quite resilient. Consult your LBS if problems occur, but don't borrow trouble. I seem to remember having as many problems with wheels and spokes when I was a young smug skinny whippet as I do now. Enjoy yourself, keep an eye on your machine and its needs, and keep those wheels rolling.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am also 115kg and have never suffered a frame failure. However, it does put me off carbon bikes. If a metal frame dies it's liable to give some visible indication as it fails gradually. Carbon is liable to fail suddenly, almost explosively, which could be painful/annoying/inconvenient/deadly.

I've not suffered much in the way of wheel problems on road bikes so I think I'm right on the cusp of the lardiness you'll get away with before it becomes an issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am also 115kg and have never suffered a frame failure. However, it does put me off carbon bikes. If a metal frame dies it's liable to give some visible indication as it fails gradually. Carbon is liable to fail suddenly, almost explosively, which could be painful/annoying/inconvenient/deadly.

I've not suffered much in the way of wheel problems on road bikes so I think I'm right on the cusp of the lardiness you'll get away with before it becomes an issue.

Agreed, the OP - and drago - are not so overweight as to make their weight a problem on a road bike.

If there is a problem I suspect it would be spoke breakages, so I would be looking for a bike with a higher number of spokes than some.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Thanks guys. I'm just gonna ride it and see what happens. If it gets to the point of constantly causing problems I'll go back to the 29er and just get some slicks for it. Will have a look into that 5:2 diet as well

Chances are the stated maximum weight will be a conservative number anyway, like lifting gear (chainblocks and such) being given a SWL "Safe Working Load" for the manufacturer to cover themselves.. What the bike will actually handle will be in excess of it.
I'm no lightweight, somewhere between 95-100kg and never worried about the carbon bike.

welshwheels

Chuck a 40 spoke tandem wheel on the back if you have problems. Do the job once . As I'm 18 st and a wheel wrecker ! It sorted me out I was 20 st when I was destroying (cheap) rear wheels

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Again, spoke count on the wheels is what I'd be looking out for. I was heavier when I got the Sirrus (probably in the 110-120kg area) and rear spokes were an issue on the 32 spoke rear. I was lighter when I got the Synapse (90-100kg) but still did the odd spoke on the 28 spoke rear. I've got handbuilt 32/32 on the Synapse now, never had a problem, I'll have handbuilt 32/36 on the Sirrus by the end of the month and am equally hopeful. Mix of SE England roads and weight was the big issue with the spoke snapping I think. If you are riding smooth roads it'll probably not be an issue. Unfortunately my commute doesn't really give me that option.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

First ride done, nothing catastrophically failed :tongue:. Taking a little getting used to coming from a mtb but great fun, very twitchy and the weight difference definatly noticeable especially with this wind. The rear cogs skipping a lot so its not as well set up as I first thought but will sort that tomorrow and I need to play with saddle position a little bit. I don't know whether i've been spoilt by hydraulic disc brakes but the braking on this bike is awful, will try upgrading the pads and see if there is any difference if not I might upgrade the unbranded calipers to claris or sora.
Any pad recommendations?

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

If they can stop me at 30+ mph then I don't mind. Just looking at brake sets online and surpised at how cheap they are. 105's are only about £17 each so wont break the bank if I do need to upgrade.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Yeah I ride a 29er and am pretty rough with it and thats been fine. I'm just going to keep riding and see what happens, I'm not too worried

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Adjusted the brakes toward the rim and they seem to be bedding in slightly, they're bearable but I've ordered the Clark's @Justinslow recommended after reading decent reviews. Looked at kool stop and Swiss stop but can't justify the prices at the moment.

Top Bottom