Rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I have just bought a felt Z100 in the wiggle sale, couldn't resist at the price and I've been after a road bike for a while now.
I never even gave it a thought but after chatting to a mate have been told I may be a little heavy for a road bike. I'm 115kg and the felt website states their warranty will cover a rider on a road bike up to 105kg.
Are there any major issues I'm going to come across, constantly truing wheels, over stressing the carbon fork etc. By the time I'm in full commuter mode I reckon I'll be up to 125kg.
Thanks

I would guess it will be down to the wheels more then anything.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Ah well its bought now and we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to shift a few kgs this year anyway but saying and doing and all that .
I have read the forum stories of the really heavy guys who've lost a ton of weight with basic road bikes so I'm not too worried, just don't want constant punctures and failures on the commute.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ah well its bought now and we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to shift a few kgs this year anyway but saying and doing and all that .
I have read the forum stories of the really heavy guys who've lost a ton of weight with basic road bikes so I'm not too worried, just don't want constant punctures and failures on the commute.

You will not lose weight just by cycling, so do not get your hopes up. Do enough of it you will get fitter though.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

You will not lose weight just by cycling, so do not get your hopes up. Do enough of it you will get fitter though.

I know. 3 years ago I weighed 150kg and lost a ton of weight through diet, weight lifting and exercise(including cycling). I've been commuting 23miles a day on my 29er for the last 10 months due to my wife needing the car for her new job. I like to think I am pretty fit and my legs are rock solid :eek: however I have plateaued a little recently. I just want to find the will power to diet :laugh:

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

I'm hoping to cycle more for fun come summer hence the road bike, longer distances and hopefully going to aim for some hundred milers with friends.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I know. 3 years ago I weighed 150kg and lost a ton of weight through diet, weight lifting and exercise(including cycling). I've been commuting 23miles a day on my 29er for the last 10 months due to my wife needing the car for her new job. I like to think I am pretty fit and my legs are rock solid :eek: however I have plateaued a little recently. I just want to find the will power to diet :laugh:
Try the 5:2 diet, then you are only 'dieting' 2 days a week and eating normally (sensibly normally) on the other 5 days. I've moved a fair bit of timber doing that. I know others on here have too.

Top Bottom