Riders in disguise!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Had a great ride in this morning, first proper hot sunny morning so far for me and it was a joy…I even chose a whole new wardrobe for the ride!!

Which got me to noticing something.

Often, the quickest riders I spot are the types who are dressed in Jeans (with one leg rolled up) a cardigan and something irreverent like a flat cap or a cravat…something that shouts "I'm just popping to the studio on the girlf's shopping bike"…while they merrily scalp everything within a mile.

I just know that, of a weekend, these same riders shed their skin and adorn full form lycra for a 100 mile club ride…just so they can adopt their disguise and look so relaxed on their commute each morning.

Grrrgh!!

Also while I am on the subject. I spotted a very fast you girl dressed in a blouse and slacks today. At the lights you could clearly see a cycle top under her blouse…and I suspect full lycra shorts under the slacks….now that really is a good disguise!

Jezston

Über Member
I suspect those in casual clothes aren't travelling very far so have plenty of energy.

dondare

Über Member
I just bought myself a new cycling top. When I'm a lot fitter I'll dare to wear it, since it's bound to incite all the silly comuter racers to chase me down to claim a scalp.
Until then it's jeans tucked into socks and playing it cool.

rh100

I just about squeeze into a cycling jacket, I won't dare try a top yet :smile:

I went in disguise the other day, it's normally jeans or tracksuit bottoms for leisure rides, but the Mrs bought some padded shorts from Aldi, no way would I wear them in the open so put them on on under the tracksuit bottoms.

jimboalee

Jezston said:
I suspect those in casual clothes aren't travelling very far so have plenty of energy.

I came back from a 100 km DIY Audax.

Before I showered, I threw some jeans on and a shirt and got the BSA 20 out of the shed to go to the shop.

I was fully warmed up and flowing with adrenaline. I ended up in central Birmingham to enfuriate the commute cyclists on the A34.

They didn't like it one bit.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jezston said:

keep telling yourself that, it makes it sting less:biggrin:

jimboalee

When I commuted out of central Birmingham many moons ago, a black chap on an old racer ( stuck in top due to cable broke ) regularly came hurtling past me. He wore black jeans, black coat and the bike was black.
Good God, he could shift on that thing. I tried to keep up with him one evening but he turned sharp into Tropicana Gym Equipment and Supplements.
The next evening, I called in to that shop. They gave me some leaflets on musclebuilding and strength training.
From that day, I used that store for my nutrition supplies.

Andy 71

The collective noun for these people is 'Hipster'.

It's a fashion statement of London origin. Your typical hipster is a iPod listening (see Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc) skinny, rakish 20-something, wearing as you suggest drainpipe jeans (with one leg rolled up), and sometimes a sturdy chain lock around waist. They ride fixed-wheel bikes with tiny narrow handlebars, garish paint-jobs, and maybe a token front brake to avoid the long arm of the law.

Favourite habits include RLJ'ing, riding on pavements, the wrong way down one-way streets and no lights after dark.

Favourite statements include "That is like SOOOOO coooollll' and 'Do you like realise how serious like student debt is?'

Andy 71 said:
The collective noun for these people is 'Hipster'.

It's a fashion statement of London origin. Your typical hipster is a iPod listening (see Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc) skinny, rakish 20-something, wearing as you suggest drainpipe jeans (with one leg rolled up), and sometimes a sturdy chain lock around waist. They ride fixed-wheel bikes with tiny narrow handlebars, garish paint-jobs, and maybe a token front brake to avoid the long arm of the law.

Favourite habits include RLJ'ing, riding on pavements, the wrong way down one-way streets and no lights after dark.

Favourite statements include "That is like SOOOOO coooollll' and 'Do you like realise how serious like student debt is?'

I thought that this started in NYC.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think all are fakengers. Many fakengers couldn't keep up the sort of speed Jonny is talking about, and besides, many times it's just someone in ordinary clothing and not even paying much attention to fashion or other detail.

Top Bottom