rides around edale - suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I have been thinking of doing some rides in the peak district and could do with some suggestions please.

I'd get the train from sheffield and get of at edale (or any of the staions near edale).

I have a hybrid which i'd prefer to take rather than my road bike.

routes up to the 30 mile would be nice....any suggestions anybody??

andrew_s

Legendary Member
30 miles starting at Edale...

Edale station -> Mam Nick (just to get warmed up, like) -> Perryfoot -> Peak Forest, cross straight over A623, first R to Wheston -> Tideswell -> Litton -> Cressbrook -> Monsal Head -> Great Longstone -> Longstone Edge -> Foolow -> Little Hucklow -> Dirtlow Rake -> Hope -> Edale station

(you'll want a 1:50,000 map to join the dots)

Look for sustenance at Tideswell or Monsal Head.

OP
OP
D

DLB

thanks for that Andrew. I have the edale 1:50 000 os map but i guess i need the one south of it as your tour goes off the bottom of it.

i'll give the route a try, perhaps next weekend

thanks again.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Edale is on the boundary between the 'Dark' and the 'White' peak to the south. Generally, there are more roads and less traffic to the south, than there are further north where the traffic tends to get concentrated along the valley bottoms.

Edale is also on the east side of the watershed. To get to the west and up onto the crest of the Pennines you have to climb either out the top of Edale, or go down the valley and do Winnats or the Old Mam Tor road (closed to traffic but still passable by bike). All these options involve quite considerable climbing.

Generally heading south and east will be steadier riding.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Having travelled 125 miles over the last 3 days on the transpennine trail i fancy attempting some hills in the peak district. You are right though it is VERY hilly in that region.

Top Bottom