Rides around Richmond, Leyburn, Redmire North Yorkshire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks, looking for advice on a ride I would like to take on but would be interested to hear if any riders here have any experience of my proposed route. My work involves delivering for an electrical distributer and a client I drop off for lives in Redmire, my drive there often takes me through Cattrick and Richmond (other deliveries) then over the Leyburn military ranges. The route is not only great to look at but I believe would make for some excellent riding. My plan is to ride from Redmire to Richmond via the long climb up past Redmire station and on UP the longer climb past the tank turning point at the crest then on along the road over the ranges and continue on to Richmond. Any one here done a similar ride and on a scale 1to10 how difficult would you rate the climbs, I ask this as its the first REAL hill challenge i,ve contemplated. Any info/ advice will be greatfully accepted. Cheers

bengdis

Regular
Hi,
I know the route well as I did it every day when living up there. The main hill I can think of is immediately out the back of Redmire behind Preston…. It is quite a climb up to the quarry. The route to Richmond is then quite undulating with some serious short hills - quite a good challenge as they are in short bursts - but a 'good' challenge.
Past Leyburn is relatively flat compared to the rest of it - but a great ride with some amazing scenery. If you want a scenic challenging route - try cycling from Hawes and then onto Leyburn. If you like the area, how about a tour-de-france route!?
One of my favourite places in the country…. Bolton Arms in Redmire also serves a good pint!!

Bengdis!

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

Bang on the money Bengdis, I think you know the spots I was refering to even the quarry which I failed to mention in my op. I do know of the Bolton Arms as I popped in to get directions the first time I delivered to Redmire, not sampled the ale though unfortunatley, not a good idea for a delivery driver. Will certainly be giving the ride some thought and myself a wee bit more hill training then probly give it a go. Thanks for taking time to reply. Cheers

Top Bottom