Ridgeback Panorama vs Pearson Compass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

I love my Revolution Country Explorer and it did me proud on my recent successful JOGLE.

But we are just about to introduce the CTW scheme at work and I want to keep touring, so I am very tempted to go for a better touring bike.

I like the look of the following:

Ridgeback Panorama

Pearson Compass

Both receive good reviews and are a similiar price. So which is the better bike?

(Although if I go this way I will really miss my current BB7 disc brakes! :sad: )

andym

Über Member
The problem with this sort of question is that very few people will have ridden either bike, and very very few ridden both.

In all honesty they look pretty much of a muchness. Two quality bikes from reputable brands at about the same price. The grades of steel used in the frames are different and you might want to check out the Reynolds website for an explanation of the differences. The component spec is pretty much the same - although you might argue that the Ridgeback has a marginally better spec.

I think from here on in it's a question of different rather than better - and this is where it comes down to personal preferences. The Pearson has bar end shifters rather than STIs - which do you prefer?

It would also be worth comparing the frame geometry (although I suspect the differences will be marginal) and in particular:

- top tube length - do you prefer shorter or longer?
- chainstay length - longer gives you more scope for fitting larger tyres should you want to;
- wheelbase. Longer is arguably more stable but shorter, arguably, gives more responsive handling.

However ....

- from the spec and the review of the Country Explorer that I've seen it looks incredibly good value - while neither the Pearson or the Ridgeback makes me want to throw my hat in the air and say 'wow that's a bargain'. You could spend a lot of money and not really notice the difference (or alternatively you might make more difference investing in lightweight camping kit). Probably the more expensive bikes will be a bit lighter and maybe you will notice a difference in the feel of the bike due to the more expensive steel tubes. Gear shifting might be a bit better and braking probably worse. Paying twice as much for a bike doesn't mean that it will be twice as good - 10 percent? 20 percent maybe? So I'd be cautious and consider whether you might be better off simply investing in some judicious upgrades - eg handbuilt wheels, or a new saddle, and using the money you save to fund your next tour or to buy camping kit, or panniers or whatever;

- following on from this it might well be worth considering simply buying a new frame and using bits from the Country Explorer to build it. Unfortunately you can't buy frames via the scheme but it might still be the most cost-effective option.

- if you really like disc brakes (and I do too) why not consider the Kona Sutra when it first came out there were issues due to fitting a pannier rack alongside BB7 calipers, but these look like they've been fixed. Your C2W supplier should be able to order them;

- while the C2W scheme offers a great deal for a lot of people, bear in mind that you fund the purchase by giving up part of your salary, this bit is not pensionable so you lose any pension contributions your employer might have made. If you are a basic rate taxpayer in a good pension scheme the benefit from C2W might not be more than about 10 per cent - ie possibly less than you could get from shopping around.

November 2010 edition of 'Cycling Active' reviews both bikes, coincidentally. I fancy a titanium beast with butterfly handlebars, bulletproof wheels and tyres, dynamo, hubgears and all the racks and panniers one could shake a stick at. Then go for a long, slow ride...

frank9755

Cyclist
...or Spa's own new touring frame, designed by an experienced touring cyclist who is a regular poster on the CTC forum.

It has more relaxed angles than others, should be a more comfortable ride and make it easier to get enough set-back.

And a bargain, if that is the type of thing you are looking for - particularly as it has all the things on it that people tend to add to modify other tourers

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Thanks guys for the helpful responses and especially the very comprehensive post from andym!

Trouble is I'm probably more confused now!

The C2W is a real benefit to me - higher rate tax payer and already paying my pension via salary sacrifice - hence the desire to take advantage of it.

I don't need bar end shifters, mainly because most of the time I ride up on the hoods. However, Pearson can change this to STI shifters at a cost of £100.

I've order Cycling Active and will read the reviews. I'm not in any rush either so can take my time deciding what I want to do.

andym

Über Member
...or Spa's own new touring frame, designed by an experienced touring cyclist who is a regular poster on the CTC forum.

It has more relaxed angles than others, should be a more comfortable ride and make it easier to get enough set-back.

And a bargain, if that is the type of thing you are looking for - particularly as it has all the things on it that people tend to add to modify other tourers

Don't suppose you have a link? All I could find on their site was their titanium tourer.

BigGee

I have not ridden the other bike but I can happily rave on about my panorama all day long. It really is a lovely bike, I have done JOGLE on it and whilst originally was intending to just 'keep it for special occasions' I now use it for my journey to work as well, basically it is extremley comfortable and deals very well with anything that the road state in london has thrown at it. I did upgrade the wheels when I bought it and that was probably money very well spent. I have had it 18 months now, done well over 3000 miles and am only just at the point when they need a slight tune up, only one puncture as well on the original tyres as well, though I have switched them round from front to back. In reality the whole bike is still running really well with just good cleaning and basic maintanence which I think suggests that the componentry was pretty good.

I have a slightly wobbly back as I approach my dottage and it just find it gives me the most comfortable riding position, the top bar brake levers are a great addition as well and I now find that I really miss them whenever I ride another bike.

Ultimately i guess that you really do need to put a few miles in on a bike to get a true feel for it and it is hard to really do that on a shop test ride. I am sure the other bike has its fans as well but i can only say that for me the panorama has been great.

Good luck with your choice

Grahame

the snail

Guru
I went for the cheaper ridgeback voyage which is similar spec to your bike, and I love it. The main difference with panorama is the higher spec frame. The ride on my bike is great, presumably the panorama is even nicer - I'm glad there wasn't one in the shop to test ride. One thing, I ended up paying £100 more for the 2011 model, price has risen from 2010 :-(

Fandango

I am cycling around the coast of the UK in stages on my Panorama and I love it! The components are all really nice quality which gives me confidence that the bike won't let me down - not that you have to spend this much money to buy a reliable bike. I reckon it is about 30% faster than my old hybrid on tarmac roads which makes a big difference, hills are easier too, though it doesn't pedal for you :-)

I was planning to replace the saddle but the one supplied has been excellent, the most comfy saddle I have ever used. The bike took some stick on the donkey track that passes for a cycle path between Scarborough and Whitby and had no problems, I have kept the original wheels which seem fine to be honest. I also love the extra set of brake levers, I use them all the time and they seem much more positive than the standard ones, as well as being more comfortable to reach. This is a big plus for the Panorama.

I tested a Galaxy and it didn't suit me as much as the Ridgeback, but I suggest you try out as many as you can before making a decision as everyone is different. Luckily my LBS agreed to get a Panorama in for me to try, so it's worth asking. I would like to have tried a Thorn Sherpa but their shop is a trek from where I live so I didn't get to test one. I fell in love with the Panorama the minute I rode it anyway, and while we can always argue the pros and cons of which bike is best, I can honestly say I am very happy with the Panorama and I am sure it will serve me well for many years.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Most important bits are frame & wheels, frame's seem similar quality.

The ridgeback - my wifes bike has the DH19's look very sturdy - though I'm not sure about the 'eyelets' for adjusting if things go (very) wrong.

The Pearsons wheels seem to be unbranded so difficult to tell?

For the xtra £50 I like the ridgeback

I was planning to replace the saddle but the one supplied has been excellent, the most comfy saddle I have ever used. The bike took some stick on the donkey track that passes for a cycle path between Scarborough and Whitby and had no problems, I have kept the original wheels which seem fine to be honest. I also love the extra set of brake levers, I use them all the time and they seem much more positive than the standard ones, as well as being more comfortable to reach. This is a big plus for the Panorama.

I have a Panorama and can echo the above by Fandango .. especially about the saddle

Simon

I was going to go for a Galaxy but tried the Panorama and liked it so didn't bother looking any further. The only thing about it is I don't like to leave the Panorama in the bikeshed at work so I still use my old hybrid for commuting. The Panorama is for holidays and touring.
Will you be able to get either of these bikes on CTW? Isn't it limited to £1000?

Fandango

I got a great deal on my Panorama, but I think I got ripped off on the helmet I bought at the same time :whistle:

I got a great deal on my Panorama, but I think I got ripped off on the helmet I bought at the same time :whistle:

so you told your wife the bike was £300 and the helmet cost a grand
wink.gif

Simon

Top Bottom