Ridgeback Speed or Dawes Discovery 201EQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

indi

Regular
Hi,

My wife and I are very excited about purchasing our first bikes (as adults that is). As novices we are also wary about making rookie mistakes. We are trying to decide between the Ridgeback Speed and the Dawes Discovery 201EQ (both models came equipped with mudguards and carriers, which was appealing). Both look nice too in the catalogues (we have not actually tested them yet) but I am worried our inexperience might mean we make the wrong decision. I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer their opinion or some advice to help us. Is one make better than the other?

Also, I was told that Ridgebacks come with a lifelong guarantee. However, this was from a shop who did not stock Dawes bikes as standard. So, is that correct?

Thank you for any help you might be able to give.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My university uses Ridgeback Speed's as their hire bikes, primarily because they're both reliable and easy to work on.

I'm also a fan of Ridgeback bikes - I used a Ridgeback Platinum for the Paris-Brest-Paris audax and my son's had them as junior mountain bikes. Personally the Ridgeback would be my choice.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
My university uses Ridgeback Speed's as their hire bikes, primarily because they're both reliable and easy to work on.

I'm also a fan of Ridgeback bikes - I used a Ridgeback Platinum for the Paris-Brest-Paris audax and my son's had them as junior mountain bikes. Personally the Ridgeback would be my choice.

Thank you for your swift reply. I appreciate it. While looking through some older posts I had noticed you had endorsed Ridgebacks a few times. Great to have your opinion on it. Do you know if they do the lifetime guarantee? Not sure if the was the salesman trying to woo me over to the Ridgeback. But it is a great selling point if true. I just haven't been able to see anything about it on the Ridgeback website.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do you know if they do the lifetime guarantee?

I'm not sure - I do know my first Ridgeback Platinum was swapped without issue but it was under a year old.

The frame on the Ridgeback Speed is pretty solid so I can't see any major issues. My students throw them around all over the place and they still keep going.

Is one make better than the other?
Just a fwiw - I had an older model Dawes Discovery 201; indesctructible, bullet-proof, simple to maintain - and a pleasure to ride for over 12 years, 5000+ miles a year. Not an exciting thrill - just an utterly dependable workhorse.

And I have a very high regard for Ridgebacks - not that I've ever owned one!

Either would work for me. The Ridgeback doesn't appear to have an adjustable stem, where the Dawes has ...

MarkF

Guru
I currently have Ridegback and Discovery hybrids and I've owned Dawes Discovery's for 10 years now, the whole range. If the first one, the 201 hadn't have been stolen I think I'd still be riding it, they are very sturdy machines. I use them to commute on, trail riding, touring (across France & Spain) and to do the shopping, MrsF has a 201 as do two pals that I recommended them to, none have had any issues whatsoever.

Not going to say anything negative about the Ridgeback as a bike, but should you choose to upgrade in the future, then the Dawes will have a higher residual value (IMO), the range has been going for so long, it's widely recognised and in more demand on the 2nd hand market.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
I currently have Ridegback and Discovery hybrids and I've owned Dawes Discovery's for 10 years now, the whole range. If the first one, the 201 hadn't have been stolen I think I'd still be riding it, they are very sturdy machines. I use them to commute on, trail riding, touring (across France & Spain) and to do the shopping, MrsF has a 201 as do two pals that I recommended them to, none have had any issues whatsoever.

Not going to say anything negative about the Ridgeback as a bike, but should you choose to upgrade in the future, then the Dawes will have a higher residual value (IMO), the range has been going for so long, it's widely recognised and in more demand on the 2nd hand market.

Thank you MarkF. Great to get feedback from someone who has owned both. My worry was that the Dawes was not as good as the Ridgeback, but your experience proves that not to be the case. Thanks for taking the time.

Thanks for that. Is the adjustable stem better? It would seem so, but I have read some reviews where people talk of squeaking.
Aye - it squeaked a bit. Only occasionally.

For me? A small price for being able to adjust down and forwards a bit, for when I used to tour with the 3 kids. My trusty old Dawes was always grotesquely overloaded, with both the tents, all the cooking equipment and the food, most of the sleeping bags, and all the tools/pumps/tubes/p*nct*re repair kits ... the lot. :smile:

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
Aye - it squeaked a bit. Only occasionally.
For me? A small price for being able to adjust down and forwards a bit, for when I used to tour with the 3 kids. My trusty old Dawes was always grotesquely overloaded, with both the tents, all the cooking equipment and the food, most of the sleeping bags, and all the tools/pumps/tubes/p*nct*re repair kits ... the lot. :smile:

Thanks again. Very helpful.

I'm not sure - I do know my first Ridgeback Platinum was swapped without issue but it was under a year old.

The frame on the Ridgeback Speed is pretty solid so I can't see any major issues. My students throw them around all over the place and they still keep going.

For what reason was it swapped??

BB

Both excellent brands, ime ridgeback always seemed to be that bit better specced £ for £ and the reason I have owned three, the hybrid lasted about 15 years until I scrapped it for bits and the Panorama must be on 10k miles + with only chains and tryes being changed and a spare wheelset for heavy touring.

OP
OP
I

indi

Regular
Both excellent brands, ime ridgeback always seemed to be that bit better specced £ for £ and the reason I have owned three, the hybrid lasted about 15 years until I scrapped it for bits and the Panorama must be on 10k miles + with only chains and tryes being changed and a spare wheelset for heavy touring.

Thanks for your thoughts. Really appreciate it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't have experience of these bikes but both are well regarded. I'd say go for the nicest looking. When manufacturers say "lifetime guarantee" they are just talking about the frame, it would be down to your LBS to decide if any components would be replaced if they failed in a reasonable period.

Top Bottom