Riding Again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velo.mouse

I've started to ride again after taking a 4 year haitus from cycling due to health issues. OMG...I didn't realize how much I've missed being on the saddle.

Gone are the days of cycling 80kms three times a week in addition to a big ride (100kms) on the weekend.

I'll be lucky if I can cycling 18kms in an hour now. Managed only 10 kms my first ride a few weeks ago and 12 kms a few days ago.

Maybe age has caught up with me...

Any suggestions on how to build up some stamina again.

Rubber Side Down,
WarriorMouseGurl

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
just ride and enjoy it and build you slowly you will soon get it back

OP
OP
velo.mouse

velo.mouse

As above just ride the bike as much as you like and be patient. It comes back but does take a while for fitness and endurance to return.
I think I'm always comparing what I used to be able to do. I tend to be hard on myself because those days are gone. But I figure, just getting out again us half the battle.
Thanks for your encouraging words.
Rubber Side Down,
WarriorMouseGurl

MntnMan62

Über Member
Congratulations. I too had been off the bike for at least 10 years and put on a fair amount of weight. I remember trying to do my regular 10 mile loop with 640 ft of elevation gain that first time out. It took me about an hour and I was so exhausted I thought I was going to keel over and die. Fortunately I didn't. Now I'm doing regular rides of 20 miles and have done two rides of over 30 miles. I'm not setting any records speed wise but I am improving. My average mph is now at about 12 mph. I do rest at a couple of view points so, in reality maybe I'm not going that fast but it feels good to see the numbers slowly get better with each passing week. But the most important thing I learned was how much I enjoyed riding. It's easy to forget after a while and then it's harder to motivate yourself. Just keep doing it. And don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once in a while. :okay: :bicycle:

OP
OP
velo.mouse

velo.mouse

Congratulations. I too had been off the bike for at least 10 years and put on a fair amount of weight. I remember trying to do my regular 10 mile loop with 640 ft of elevation gain that first time out. It took me about an hour and I was so exhausted I thought I was going to keel over and die. Fortunately I didn't. Now I'm doing regular rides of 20 miles and have done two rides of over 30 miles. I'm not setting any records speed wise but I am improving. My average mph is now at about 12 mph. I do rest at a couple of view points so, in reality maybe I'm not going that fast but it feels good to see the numbers slowly get better with each passing week. But the most important thing I learned was how much I enjoyed riding. It's easy to forget after a while and then it's harder to motivate yourself. Just keep doing it. And don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once in a while. :okay: :bicycle:
Hello MntnMan62 - that's encouraging and inspiring. Thanks. I'm planning a late afternoon road bike ride for tomorrow. I'll be up early prepping veggies. I've got 4 monster yellow zucchinis that I'll be making zucchini chutney with...so, my road bike ride will be my reward. Every km I ride I put a dollar in my canning piggy bank...another addiction. We are experiencing a heat wave in my area so riding later in the afternoon will be more pleasant. I'm aiming for 15 kms.

Rubber Side Down
WarriorMouseGurl

OP
OP
velo.mouse

velo.mouse

Thanks...i think that will be the plan going forward...

Rubber Side Down
WarriorMouseGurl

Top Bottom