Riding an Elephant (Bike) Over the Pennines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I enjoyed reading that, great report!
I don't tour fully laden, because I don't like to sleep in fields ^_^ but even with my max 5Kg luggage, I would have used a bike with many gears 😄

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is the gearing? I thought it was the usual Sturmey Archer wide 3 (75%/100%/133%) but I could be wrong (edit: and of course it depends on the base used). I've toured on my 3 but nowhere steep and carrying less (not camping). I had to push up a 17% but mainly because I couldn't restart after pulling into a passing place.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Know all about Lizzie hard to believe but plenty know about her and remember her.
She was indeed the idea behind a fundraising trail. Great fun tracking them down.
One now live's in the winter gardens bagged a pic with bike as I cycled past on this years let's Ride.
IMG_3272.JPG

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
What is the gearing? I thought it was the usual Sturmey Archer wide 3 (75%/100%/133%) but I could be wrong (edit: and of course it depends on the base used). I've toured on my 3 but nowhere steep and carrying less (not camping). I had to push up a 17% but mainly because I couldn't restart after pulling into a passing place.
That's the one, the X-RD3.
Coming to the conclusion that there's no shame in pushing, brought on by AAA - Age Adjusted Attitude.

Really enjoyed that. Great write up.
I found a pee bottle makes cold (or wet) weather camping much easier. Mine's a repurposed juice bottle. No need to leave the tent.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I enjoyed reading this. I haven't done anything like this with mine but of course as soon as I rode it for the first time it occurred to me I could get some camping gear on it pretty easily. So far I've not ridden it beyond about 12 miles in one go, I need to replace the saddle and pedals to make longer distances viable.

Definitely need something to keep stuff in the front carrier of an Elephant Bike- I've lost items of shopping going over speedbumps. I've got a couple of wide luggage straps which I use, works if the load is in bags but a net would be better.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I enjoyed reading this. I haven't done anything like this with mine but of course as soon as I rode it for the first time it occurred to me I could get some camping gear on it pretty easily. So far I've not ridden it beyond about 12 miles in one go, I need to replace the saddle and pedals to make longer distances viable.

Definitely need something to keep stuff in the front carrier of an Elephant Bike- I've lost items of shopping going over speedbumps. I've got a couple of wide luggage straps which I use, works if the load is in bags but a net would be better.
Yep, replacing saddle and pedals was a priority for me too.
I thought about getting one of these upcycled carrier covers. Not as flexible as a cargo net but waterproof, if that capability was needed.

Smudge

Veteran
A plastic fabric conditioner bottle for pee bottle has always been part of my camping kit. Couldn't be arsed with getting out of the tent in the night and walking to the toilet block.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did the 120 miles from Wallasey to Anglesey. And 120 back.
That was using Sturmey Archer.
Sleeping rough in barns when I could find a farmer to allow it.
BUT BUT BUT
That was 55 years ago when I was a fit young teenager and traffic was lighter :rolleyes:^_^
I could not even dream of it now.
Hats off to you @IaninSheffield and thanks for an enjoyable read.

Top Bottom