Riding as far as possible in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As you can probably see from some responses, the way to get a lot of miles in is to maximise time on the bike in the 24 hour period. If you want to have a proper try at this maybe you should focus on the logistics of how to get maximum hours on the bike in a midnight to midnight 24 hour period

A few years ago I decided to attempt 330 km in 24 hours, to 'replicate' what Steve Abrahams was aiming to do, every day, for a year (😳) to beat the world record, still standing, from 1939.

Apart from starting with too little sleep and rest prior to setting off, the eating/drinking, cycling, distance part was 'almost' comfortable. The difficult bit was the mental aspect, particularly the last 5-6 hours where I was in a trance-like state, looking more or less only at the road a few metres in front of me. Dead straight flat roads didn't help either, but the zombie feeling does get to you.

I completed the distance in about 21 hours, including stops.

Good luck, it'll be a great challenge and experience.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm not so sure there are. But I could be wrong, I normally am.

I looked into this a while ago and the only one I could find was the Mersey Roads one, which is the national champs. I wrote to the organisers asking for info about knew of other - less exalted - ones, as obviously the national championships isn't for the likes of me. He replied that there weren't any as they'd all stopped running and the nationals was the only one left, but that I was very welcome to enter. I decided against the idea :smile:
The Mersey Roads is cancelled this year. Usually it's the only 24. I've ridden five of them and supported riders at a couple of others.

davidphilips

Veteran
If you dont have/use a cycle computer wear a heart rate monitor and dont above zone 2,only my advice and what i would do, know theres lots that could race all the way around but for me i would just be delighted to do the distance without incidents?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They always run this challenge when I'm on holiday and I don't think the family would be impressed if I disappeared for the day, anyway I doubt very much anyone else will get over 50 so don't worry

johnblack

Über Member
I love a challenge like this, always need a long ride to look forward to, keeps me riding when I'd rather sit and fester.

I did 187 miles Northampton to Exeter last year, 10 hours riding time so if I hadn't had to meet up with a load of others for the weekend I could've kept on going, I wonder how far I would've got by the end of day?

Next one is on the mountain bike from Winchester to Eastbourne next Friday, 100 miles off-road with 12500 ft of ascent, reckon that's going to be a long day.

I try to keep data to a minimum, looking at your mileage can really de-motivate, I just keep an eye on my heart rate mainly.

The most important thing for me is not to stop for very long, my body does not react well to long stops, it just wants to shut down.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
More important than flat land. Use a free app called Windy and get the wind on your back. Try and ride with it on your back all day. If that means getting a train back home. Then do it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
More important than flat land. Use a free app called Windy and get the wind on your back. Try and ride with it on your back all day. If that means getting a train back home. Then do it.
À train. Whats that?

And

Fun sponge
- Where can I find a long, flat and well tarmacked route in the UK?
You could do what this chap did...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/gmkgyd/i_finally_finished_all_of_my_finals_so_i_rode/

- Should I try and ride 200 miles all at once or try and do two rides of 150 miles?
...or what this chap did
https://www.strava.com/activities/3598097778

On a serious note, a friend of mine has done the '24' a few times (got a third place on one attempt) and I perceived it to be a 'rolling' course, rather than flat - he agreed but said he preferred it as he wasn't pedalling all the time and it gave his legs a rest.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A few years ago I decided to attempt 330 km in 24 hours, to 'replicate' what Steve Abrahams was aiming to do, every day, for a year (😳) to beat the world record, still standing, from 1939.

Apart from starting with too little sleep and rest prior to setting off, the eating/drinking, cycling, distance part was 'almost' comfortable. The difficult bit was the mental aspect, particularly the last 5-6 hours where I was in a trance-like state, looking more or less only at the road a few metres in front of me. Dead straight flat roads didn't help either, but the zombie feeling does get to you.

I completed the distance in about 21 hours, including stops.

Good luck, it'll be a great challenge and experience.
Are you talking about this record? https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co..._comment_id=1630151617002798_1683157295035563

Top Bottom