Riding commentary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Just wondering if anybody else does this?

When riding through traffic, I normally do a commentary about what is happening up ahead and behind, what my observations are of what the traffic is doing and likely to do, the condition of the road and its effect on my bike, also what I plan to do.

Quite often the commentary is going on in my head, but sometimes I verbalise it.

dondare

Über Member
I sing.

(Songs, not a musical commentary.)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Are you in the police force?

its part of their advanced training (my dad taught me to do it as well when in a car). Its really helpful to be able to vocalise your thoughts and itkeeps your mind supa focussed on ther surroundings.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
jonny jeez said:

Unfortunately not, there are times I wish I was though. I had a neighbour who was an advanced motorcycle instructor who gave me lots of good advice about riding after I had parked my motorbike into the back of a car whilst filtering through traffic at speed.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Matthames said:
Unfortunately not, there are times I wish I was though. I had a neighbour who was an advanced motorcycle instructor who gave me lots of good advice about riding after I had parked my motorbike into the back of a car whilst filtering through traffic at speed.

kind of related reply (honest).

Friend of my father rides a big white BMW motorclcye (in west sussex way), he wears a high vis jacket, white helmet and black trousers.

for all the world he looks like a copper.

but is an isurance loss adjuster.

I used to take the micky and say I thought he was a frustrated cycle cop (and used to hum the theme tune to chips when I saw him). but as he quite rightly told me (when I started to ride a motorcycle), he had never been cut up, never had an accident and never eveen had a row with any drivers.

as everyone took him for a copper too

some logic in that.

gazmercer

Hmm, lately it's stupid theme tunes to kids programmes while I'm riding (Johnny Test and Ben 10 seem to get me pedalling, LOL).

As for commentary though, I do sometimes think about things before I get to them, ie, I know areas where parked cars normally are and make sure I check when I get close, Knowing when some of the local buses run and their routes I make a mental note sometimes to check for them pulling out of a junction, stuff like that.

Then I end up going back to the kids programmes theme tunes.

Problem is lately, my bike has started with an annoying ticking/clunky sound so I'm usually listening to that and trying to work out where on earth it's coming from.

Molecule Man

I suppose I often do something kind of similar, it can get a bit sweary sometimes, so I hope it remains inside my head.

I also sing sometimes, badly, usually trying to expunge an earworm from my mind. Most recently (and not for the first time), it has been 'My Old Man's a Dustman'.

dondare

Über Member
Molecule Man said:
I suppose I often do something kind of similar, it can get a bit sweary sometimes, so I hope it remains inside my head.

I also sing sometimes, badly, usually trying to expunge an earworm from my mind. Most recently (and not for the first time), it has been 'My Old Man's a Dustman'.

Now that's going round in my head. I'll just have to sing it out loud where I work. :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I do commentary too, but I don't verbalise it because of drivers have their windows down and can hear me.

I do speak out in winter though

Dan B

Disengaged member
jonny jeez said:

its part of their advanced training (my dad taught me to do it as well when in a car). Its really helpful to be able to vocalise your thoughts and itkeeps your mind supa focussed on ther surroundings.
My regular driving instructor taught me to do it for the regular test - is it not normal?

I must admit I rarely actually bother: I get into enough trouble talking to myself as it is

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have been known to commentary drive (it is a requirement for advance driving tests), but feel a bit self conscious of doing it out loud on a bike, but I do do it in my head.

Top Bottom