Riding Etiquette - What's Acceptable, What's Not? Or, how to avoid getting lumped around the ear by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

sounds like dom's hit the nail on the head. When he complains, make that sharp-intake-of-breath noise (you know that one that mechanics or plumbers make when they're about to tell you your car/pipework needs a lot of work doing) and make some thinly veiled reference to him needing to get off his arse and train a bit more.

RedBike

Why can't the person just stay a half-wheel behind?
They can; but most riders will naturally try and ride level (keep-up) with the half-wheelier. The trouble is that as you speed up (In order to ride level with the half-wheeler) they speed up too. The effect is the pace slowly starts increasing.

Big T

Guru
The haf-wheeler is usually some jumped-up upstart who thinks he's fitter/faster than the group he's riding with. Others do it without even knowing they're doing it. If i'm being half-wheeled, I usually slow right down, after giving the nod to the second rider in the group and let the half-wheeler ride off on their own, making them look rather silly.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I can end up halfwheeling sometimes. Its mainly when i go up inclines or into a wind. The rider next to me will sometimes drop back slightly.
What i do hate is when you get the rider that comes right on in next to you, when they could sit slightly further out. That sits in the middle of the 2 people infront so your either behind them or at the side in the open.
Also dont like it when someone isnt that fluent. I'm probably not hugely fluent but when the person infront goes then slows down, then goes, or freewheels so you have to just brake slightly.
JohnG, if you started as a group and train as a group, if someone punctures then they should stop, and at least offer to help do something like get the spare tube ready, pump off your bike or tyre levers. What ever time is lost there can be made up by working slightly harder later on.

Top Bottom