Riding in the rain - bike maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I find that rain itself isn't the problem. It's the fact that the rain brings mud on the Kent lanes.

At the least I give the bike a spray with a garden hose to dislodge mud, and ensure brakes are clean, and wipe down/ re lube the chain.

Some people get upset by use of hosepipes but it's just a garden hose, not high pressure, and I don't go near the bearing seals.

stupug

Regular
Is GT85 like WD40?

Asking for a friend

No WD40 is a water repellant spray and will help with rust etc and GT85 is a Teflon lube. Shouldn't use WD40 on your chain

Citius

No WD40 is a water repellant spray and will help with rust etc and GT85 is a Teflon lube. Shouldn't use WD40 on your chain

Nope. People need to stop perpetuating these absurd myths.

WD40 and GT85 - and many other so-called 'maintenance sprays' are simply just light mineral oils in carrier solvents. GT85 also contains a teflon additive, but essentially, they all do the same job of water displacement and lubrication. You can use WD - or any other such lube on your chain. Nothing bad will happen.

Ganymede

Veteran
Nope. People need to stop perpetuating these absurd myths.

WD40 and GT85 - and many other so-called 'maintenance sprays' are simply just light mineral oils in carrier solvents. GT85 also contains a teflon additive, but essentially, they all do the same job of water displacement and lubrication. You can use WD - or any other such lube on your chain. Nothing bad will happen.
Thanks. I did have an inkling that WD was possibly just a band-aid, which is why I asked.

stupug

Regular
This is what it says Wikipedia about it. You may be right but as far as I was aware I shouldn't use it for lubrication

Its properties make it useful in both domestic and commercial settings. Typical uses for WD-40 include removing dirt and extricating jammed screws and bolts. It can also be used to loosen stubborn zippers and displace moisture.

Due to its lightness (i.e. low viscosity), WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.[6]

stupug

Regular
I'm trying to load a page to read up on gt85 but my internet being slow.

I have always been told to use 3 in 1 oil?

Citius

GT85, WD40, 3in1, etc, etc - it's a light oil in a spray can. It displaces water, it lubricates.

RegG

Über Member
I have always been told to use 3 in 1 oil?

My LBS advised against using 3 in 1 oil as it can attract all the dirt and debris and clog up the chain and gears. I had always used 3 in 1 ever since I was a youngster, and my dad used it before me. I really don't think it is a problem so long as you don't over lubricate the chain and make sure any excess is wiped off - just as you do with dry or wet lube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There has been more than one variety of 3 in 1 oil for quite a long time. "Household" and "Dry Lube" (I think this used to be "Lawnmower") are OK IIRC, but "Lock Dry Lube", "PTFE" and "Motor" are not. 3 in 1 was bought by WD-40 and has sprouted into a similar range of confusingly-similar products.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GT85, WD40, 3in1, etc, etc - it's a light oil in a spray can. It displaces water, it lubricates.
Don't know about the other ones, but does GT85 not evaporate? Not good for lubing a chain then, I suppose.
I like the smell, use it as a cleaner and water disperser after cleaning the drive train, or after getting a soaking, but use a bike lube for the chain.
Is this the correct way of doing it?

mustang1

Legendary Member
This is how I maintain my commuter:

I ride it. Repeat.
Squirt oil on chain whenever it makes a noise. If oil does not rectify noise, change chain and cassette

Ensure you buy cheap parts. This way its OK to change parts every season. Still far cheaper than a train ticket. Clean brake pads once in a while, or just swap those too. Change wheels every 2 or 3 years.

If you have a cheap road bike, keep an eye in handlebar flex. I've made a habit of changing bars when I change the wheels.

Next, I will experiment with single speed commuting and may report back. (Though I disagree with ssfg thru winter because I figure that's exactly the time you NEED gears - wind, dark, damp, dreary, tired, I at least want the gears to be easy).

Chris-1066

Personally I don't rely on WD-40 as a lubricient - I use it as a water displacement product on the chain after its got wet (rain or cleaning) - then wipe it off with a cloth and respray the chain with GT85 or similar.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Both of my steel bikes were on a long ride recently. A modern one and a 1980s one. Both are subject to the same regular cleaning regime (car shampoo). Both have full mudguards.

Oddly the down tube of the modern one had a thick layer of mud stuck to it afterwards, along with bits of twig etc. The old one was gritty but clean. Same pattern elsewhere on the frames.

Seems that modern paint is stickier.

Top Bottom