Riding in the rain - bike maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

Is it necessary to clean/dry off your bike after being out in the rain. I admit I'm quite lazy when it comes to bike maintenance. I'm usually wanting to eat before anything! However, the last few weeks (or is it months), I've been commuting in the pouring rain. I cleaned my bike this morning, but was wondering if it is sensible to clean off the chain every time I come in from a wet ride?

Osprey

Guru
You don't have to clean your bike but I would certainly recommend spraying the moving parts with some GT85 :okay:

Citius

Depends how much time you have. Wiping the chain over with a rag is definitely worth doing imediately after a wet ride, followed by a spray with GT85 or similar. If you are doing that once or twice a day (if commuting) then that will be the only lube you need..

lpretro1

Recommend a 'strip down service' every six months as well for commuter bikes when it is so wet - god idea to do after winter and again in autumn - keeps them in tip-top condition - you don't want to be let down a cold, wet & dark night. Keep wiping all the crud off the chain too before re-lubing it which stops a build up of corrosive goo :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I took the spare bike out of the shed after a few weeks of non use over Christmas to find I've obviously put it away wet the last time and the chain is rusty.. Problem is when it's really wet and miserable, the last thing I want to do on getting home is do anything to the chain normally, maybe I should at least have an oily rag that I could wipe off the excess nearby.

boydj

Legendary Member
To run the chain through a rag and give it a quick spray of GT85 will take a couple of minutes at most. A proper re-lube can then be done later.

Tom B

Guru
What He said except I find a price of old denim is the best wipe. Tough enough yet soft enough.... Like a good bogroll.

Keep some Baby Wipes handy for a quick wipe down to get rid of the worst of it.

Then be more thorough when you have more time.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What He said except I find a price of old denim is the best wipe. Tough enough yet soft enough.... Like a good bogroll.
Old cotton t-shirts, sleeves cut off :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, run the chain through an old towel to dry it and if you have time, at least clean the braking surfaces and pull the towel back and forth a few times behind the brake blocks to clean them and get some of the muck out of the grooves.

If the roads have been salted, you ought to wash the bike down with hot water and car shampoo then dry the chain and clean rims and brakes.

When you strip the bike, smear grease or lanoline liberally over the lower headset bearing to protect it from water thrown up by the front wheel.

gbb

Legendary Member
Occasionally remove the brake blocks, inspect for debris, flint etc. The more filthy the weather, the more i'd do it.
Rain will tend to push all the cr@p on the road to the side where you're likely to be riding.
Any grinding or screeching from the brakes when operating requires attention asap, flint and stuff in the blocks will soon damage rims.
Dig out any deposits with a stanley knife or similar. You can't really do too much damage to the blocks even if you have to dig deep.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have an oily dishcloth that I keep in a plastic bag. After drying the chain, I run the chain through it to just leave a light coating of lubricant.

Top Bottom