Riding into a headwind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes when riding through the park, the wind really picks up and if blowing directly head-on, is ducking down when you don't have dropped handlebars just making me look like an idiot or will it actually make much of a difference?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It would make a significant difference, but why don't you just try it and see for yourself! :thumbsup:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I find if i duck right down I lose a lot of power in my legs, I dont know if its using a different part of quadriceps than im used to but watching my speedo on the flat it seems best just to lean down a little, I only really duck down chin on bars style if im on a nice long downhill and its faster than sitting up and pedalling.

If youre on a longer/circular ride and not out to train hard, i find its sometimes better just to not bother fighting the wind, the amount of effort to go an extra 1-2mph faster sat upright on a flatbar bike into a headwind is silly.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I had a little go yesterday, although I do have drops I don't often try to assume the nearest I can get to a full TT position, but feeling the spirit of the TDF I thought why not. Tried to keep the same amount of effort and pushed up from about 23mph to 23.7mphish (it wasn't much of a headwind in fairness) then got a bit fed up of my thighs hitting my gut so sat back up again.
Anyway, in answer to your question, yes, it makes a difference :thumbsup: as for looking like an idiot well......:whistle:......you could of course be going too fast for people to recognise you!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a little go yesterday, although I do have drops I don't often try to assume the nearest I can get to a full TT position, but feeling the spirit of the TDF I thought why not. Tried to keep the same amount of effort and pushed up from about 23mph to 23.7mphish (it wasn't much of a headwind in fairness) then got a bit fed up of my thighs hitting my gut so sat back up again.
I have exactly the same problem! :blush:

When I was slim, I used the drops a lot more because the position was much more comfortable for me than it is now. Nowadays, it is only for use on downhills and into killer headwinds.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

I have exactly the same problem! :blush:

When I was slim, I used the drops a lot more because the position was much more comfortable for me than it is now. Nowadays, it is only for use on downhills and into killer headwinds.

perhaps we should rename "riding on the drops" to "thudding the guts", cos its the same for me!

D

Deleted member 1258

I have bullhorns on my fixed, into a headwind , if its safe, I'll hold the bars as close to the stem as I can crouch slightly, if I crouch to much I'll start hitting my elbows with my knees, and try and get a good pedalling rhythm.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Thanks for the advice. I can't get too low and I can't really tell if it's making much difference as although I know the drag is being reduced, it's not my natural riding position so it feels odd....maybe with more practice.

Top Bottom