Riding into traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
KakenBetaal?

Maz

Guru
"I did not hear him coming nor did I have any warning of any kind until his rear view mirror brushed my left shoulder."

how come this guy cant hear a pickup truck closing in on him? is he deaf or plugged into his ipod?

Statesiders do have some very strange views on road useage, their cars don't brake or corner but are capable of going very fast in straight lines. Instead of tuning engines to produce power, they just make them big. I could go on and on.

Having spent a fair old time in the US, I know that if I were a resident, I would be very reluctant to cycle outside of large cities.

Based on my experiences, I would say it is highly likely that pick-up brushed the cyclist on purpose. The instances of vehicles brush-passing cyclists is unbelievably high. I think I read somewhere Lance say that he got knocked off his bike by redneck pick-ups more than he crashed racing. Likely to be an exxageration, but none the less frightning.

The minimum I would have between my legs to hit the road in the US would have to be 600cc.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
LOL! Kak en betaal is Afrikaans for the feeling you have about paying your income taxes, for example.
hoe gaan det?...how are you?
did i say it right? used to work with some SA lads.
totsiens

Trillian

i see many chineese students in my city riding against traffic in the dark with no lights or anything,

apparently this helps them be seen

it also means that they occasionally get stopped by the bus which needs the width of its lane and gets itself stopped by the cyclist

at which point they pull the bikes onto the kerb and carry on, possibly dropping back onto the road again.

Trillian said:
i see many chineese students in my city riding against traffic in the dark with no lights or anything,

apparently this helps them be seen

it also means that they occasionally get stopped by the bus which needs the width of its lane and gets itself stopped by the cyclist

at which point they pull the bikes onto the kerb and carry on, possibly dropping back onto the road again.
There's one spot on my commute where the neds behave like this, I'm usually warned of their presence by a drivers peeping at them. Ive went round a blind left hand bend which immediately sweeps downhill steeply to come across them riding uphill, 3 abreast, on the wrong side of the road (my side) without any lights on. Its a good argument for being in the primary position.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It is also illegal in the States and in Japan, which are both places where I've lived and seen it done frequently. I've had altercations with people who almost ran into me in both...

Top Bottom