Riding LOOK pedals with flat-soled shoes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

I might be buying a second-hand bike that comes fitted with LOOK pedals. I don't have any LOOK shoes, so was going to wear flat-sole shoes when collecting it and riding it home about 12 miles door to door.
Will my feet keep slipping off the pedals? I don't know anything about LOOK pedals to be honest.
Thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
buy some cheap flat pedals and change them before riding home ?

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

well if i couldnt get pedals off with a spanner i would pass on the bike but thats just me, speaks to me of the level of care the bike has seen

Fair enough, I'm just going on 1 past experience trying to remove pedals. That was a 30+ years old bike mind, this one's maybe 10 (?).

Slick

Guru
Fair enough, I'm just going on 1 past experience trying to remove pedals. That was a 30+ years old bike mind, this one's maybe 10 (?).

I ride flat shoes on my mountain bike all the time when doing errands and the like. Never had an issues with the only caveat being, on such occasions I'm always on the flat.

Sharky

Guru
A one-off ride wearing flats and look pedals, shouldn't be a problem. I've ridden a 10 mile TT, wearing sandals on look pedals, when I forgot my racing shoes.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I ride flat shoes on my mountain bike all the time when doing errands and the like. Never had an issues with the only caveat being, on such occasions I'm always on the flat.

Basic question....has the LOOK pedals got a flat side then? If so, I'm sorted.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I use trainers with some studded grip on my SPD-SL pedals when on a short trip or don't want cleats far end. They will give a perfectly good grip on these Look pedals for 12 miles.
No they don't have a 'flat' side. Pedal them normal side up and grippy trainers will bite/grip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom