Riding older carbon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Veteran
Theyre the last folk I would take advice from on any matter, although in this instance I'd be inclined to agree.

In this instance they interviewed some chap in the industry that had owned his carbon frame for 20 years. IIRC he explained that when carbon fails, it is likely to do so by ‘sagging’ rather than ‘snapping’.
 
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Thar why I'm inclined to agree on this occasion.

Most of the time their conclusion range from simply tripe to scientifically dubious.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
In this instance they interviewed some chap in the industry that had owned his carbon frame for 20 years. IIRC he explained that when carbon fails, it is likely to do so by ‘sagging’ rather than ‘snapping’.

Do you have a link? That apparently runs counter to the material's low strain-to-failure behaviour and widely-accepted expectation that when CFRP breaks it's usually sudden and catastrophic.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
I think the chap was referring to an age related failure mode rather than an application of excessive force in a direction counter to the components design parameters type failure, which would be typically kerblammo!

That makes more sense as I can see an argument for the epoxy degrading over time to become softer.

Personally that's just another reason not to trust it. I won't ride new ones let along those that that could have been subject to however many crashes, drops or other impacts over the years and as a result be harbouring all manner of unseen damage.

Ultrasonic testing would be the way forward for peace of mind, however I suspect for most this would be prohibitively expensive.
 

Webbo2

Veteran
That makes more sense as I can see an argument for the epoxy degrading over time to become softer.

Personally that's just another reason not to trust it. I won't ride new ones let along those that that could have been subject to however many crashes, drops or other impacts over the years and as a result be harbouring all manner of unseen damage.

Ultrasonic testing would be the way forward for peace of mind, however I suspect for most this would be prohibitively expensive.

When you go outside do you wear tin foil on your head.🤔
 

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I won't ride new ones let alonge those that that could have been subject to however many crashes, drops or other impacts over the years and as a result be harbouring all manner of unseen damage.

then maybe refrain from commenting further given your lack of relevant experience.....
 

Punkawallah

Veteran
Do you have a link? That apparently runs counter to the material's low strain-to-failure behaviour and widely-accepted expectation that when CFRP breaks it's usually sudden and catastrophic.

Well, I could scroll back through my Internet history on the off chance that I recognise a URL, but instead I Googled ‘GCN tech carbon frame expert’ and found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnj8X0r0HA

I’ll leave you to watch it, but I believe other results are available.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
When you go outside do you wear tin foil on your head.🤔

When you challenge people on the internet is this driven by a differing opinion underpinned by sound technical understanding (with the dripping condescension just a delightful bonus), or just a bizarre desire to seize upon any perceived opportunity to belittle others?

In technical terms what specifically about my position do you disagree with?

Are you sure you're not having another "more carbs in sausages than anything else" episode?


Well, I could scroll back through my Internet history on the off chance that I recognise a URL, but instead I Googled ‘GCN tech carbon frame expert’ and found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnj8X0r0HA

I’ll leave you to watch it, but I believe other results are available.


Thanks - will give it a squiz later when I get a moment :smile:
 
Last edited:

Webbo2

Veteran
When you challenge people on the internet is this driven by a differing opinion underpinned by sound technical understanding (with the dripping condescension just a delightful bonus), or just a bizarre desire to seize upon any perceived opportunity to belittle others?

In technical terms what specifically about my position do you disagree with?

Are you sure you're not having another "more carbs in sausages than anything else" episode?




Thanks - will give it a squiz later when I get a moment :smile:
I have had 5 carbon bikes, still got 4 and the only one that has broken so it couldn’t be ridden was a result of being hit by a car. It was probably repairable but just ended up as a turbo bike, it was replaced by the drivers insurance. I have cracked both steel and Titanium frames just by riding.
So I believe have reasonable amount of experience of different frame materials to comment.
You have never ridden a carbon framed bike yet feel knowledgable enough to state they are unsafe to ride.
I feel your comments are bordering on conspiracy theory level. Hence my comment.
 
I have done over 40,000km on the carbon-framed Trek Domane that I bought 12 years ago. It has also been used on Zwift over the last six winters. The frame seems fine but I really ought to change the bar tape 🤮
 
Top Bottom