Riding older carbon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gritstone

Senior Member
Locally I’ve seen a nice carbon road bike for sale, it’s from around 2012 and appears to have had little use.

What is the cycle chat consensus of using older good condition carbon frames as a daily? Who’s still riding a carbon bike they got back 10-15 years ago?

I’d obviously give it a thorough inspection before riding, just looking for people’s experience in general. I’m used to riding and looking after 20-40 year old steel and 15 year old aluminium bikes but carbon is a new one for me.
 

Punkawallah

Veteran
According to the nice boys at GCN, carbon frames can still be good after 20 years. Apparently the two big problems are ‘unpainted ‘ carbon (as UV degrades the ‘bare’ material), and undetected damage (as it needs an ultrasound to confirm) .
 

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's usual bike is a 30,000+ mile 2011 BeOne Raw and I tend to ride a 2015 NeilPryde Nazaré. I've no issues riding an older carbon frame but do regularly check it over just in case of potential cracks or damage.
 
Top Bottom