Riding on Hoods vs Drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danny121

Just a silly question, but I see a lot of references on various forums about people spending most of their time on the hoods.

I spend about 80-90% of my time on the drops and only switch to hoods if I need to change hand position or when going uphill (seems to help).

Is there some reason to stay on the hoods I'm not aware of?

domtyler

Über Member
Hi Danny, just do what feels right to you mate! ;)

OP
OP
D

danny121

Thanks for the quick replies - of course if I were braver I'd use some bolt-on aero bars but don't like the idea of taking my hands so far away from the brakes ;).

Must admit I'm enjoying the road bike a lot more than the old hybrid (did about 9000 miles on it before it got nicked).

yenrod

I like a long reach on a/my bike and spend quite a bit of time on the tops which I reckon is from my MTB days :laugh: but its a varying amount in either position.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My belly gets in the way on the drops:blush:

Maz

Guru
Numpty question: Do you normally hold the tops (hoods? i.e. the flat straight bit!) when indicating?

OP
OP
D

danny121

Maz said:
Numpty question: Do you normally hold the tops (hoods? i.e. the flat straight bit!) when indicating?

Drops - I can easily reach the brake lever andif I need to brake it's a lot easier to apply max force from the drops than the hoods due to leverage.

Plax

Guru
I spend proportionately more time on the tops - not quite on the hoods, I like to rest my hands on the bit that curves fron the top straight bit to the hoods (if you follow me). I tend to use the drops when I'm going really fast down hills, then in traffic I hover over the hoods, or I've recently noticed that when I approach junctions to slow down / stop I'll have my left hand on the drops braking and leave the right hand on the hoods.

Tynan

Veteran
usually hoods as I'm invariably in heavy traffic and I feel more visible upright and can see better but I do drops for downhills (better braking) and into the wind and for any long straight bit when I fancy blatting on a bit, I love the options after flats, especially into the wind, headwinds have almost stopped being a problem

Top Bottom