1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding on Hoods vs Drops

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by danny121, 17 Jun 2008.

1. danny121

danny121 New Member

Just a silly question, but I see a lot of references on various forums about people spending most of their time on the hoods.

I spend about 80-90% of my time on the drops and only switch to hoods if I need to change hand position or when going uphill (seems to help).

Is there some reason to stay on the hoods I'm not aware of?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Hi Danny, just do what feels right to you mate! ;)

3. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

Im 95% on the hoods. Any time on the drops really hurts.

Depends on geometry I suppose.

4. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Whichever feels comfortable for you.

5. OP
    OP
    danny121

danny121 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies - of course if I were braver I'd use some bolt-on aero bars but don't like the idea of taking my hands so far away from the brakes ;).

Must admit I'm enjoying the road bike a lot more than the old hybrid (did about 9000 miles on it before it got nicked).

6. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Most people find it more comfortable, espeshially over longer distances.

7. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

You can reach the brakes and change gear without having to move your hand position.

8. yenrod

yenrod Guest

I like a long reach on a/my bike and spend quite a bit of time on the tops which I reckon is from my MTB days :laugh: but its a varying amount in either position.

9. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

My belly gets in the way on the drops:blush:

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I thought it got in the way of the tops too rich? :laugh:

11. Maz

Maz Guru

Numpty question: Do you normally hold the tops (hoods? i.e. the flat straight bit!) when indicating?

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Ususally hold the brake hoods when indicating as you can brake as well !

13. OP
    OP
    danny121

danny121 New Member

Drops - I can easily reach the brake lever andif I need to brake it's a lot easier to apply max force from the drops than the hoods due to leverage.

14. Plax

Plax Veteran

I spend proportionately more time on the tops - not quite on the hoods, I like to rest my hands on the bit that curves fron the top straight bit to the hoods (if you follow me). I tend to use the drops when I'm going really fast down hills, then in traffic I hover over the hoods, or I've recently noticed that when I approach junctions to slow down / stop I'll have my left hand on the drops braking and leave the right hand on the hoods.

15. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

usually hoods as I'm invariably in heavy traffic and I feel more visible upright and can see better but I do drops for downhills (better braking) and into the wind and for any long straight bit when I fancy blatting on a bit, I love the options after flats, especially into the wind, headwinds have almost stopped being a problem