Riding rock gardens on a rigid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is my MTB, had it since the early 90's (PS got a repaint in the late 90's)... A Diamond Back Ascent EX - was marble grey but I had it repainted fairly quickly. I updated the transfers a year or two ago as they came off. Deore XT and LX. The LX STI's are still working perfectly.

The Right shifter failed within two weeks of buying the bike, just as STI came out (early adopter). Did Snowdon on a thumb shifter from a basic bike shop in Bangor before it could be sorted. Well despite the 'this stuff won't work', the replacement STI's have been perfect for over 25 years....!!!!!!

We did Snowdon when a few in the club bought MTB's in the early 90's (winter training - so we all bought one), that was a blast. It's been hit by cars, more damage to cars, and it has been a crazy commuter with 1.2" slicks for a while. It was my Winter commuter with snow studs. It's now back as I intend to keep it, off road. It's Tange Cromo and is quality.

It is bloody frightening going down big off road rocky descents, with that road set up seat post, but my knees are happy. I don't go down hill fast, but it climbs like something else.

20160317_110744.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
This is my MTB, had it since the early 90's (PS got a repaint in the late 90's)... A Diamond Back Ascent EX - was marble grey but I had it repainted fairly quickly. I updated the transfers a year or two ago as they came off. Deore XT and LX. The LX STI's are still working perfectly.

The Right shifter failed within two weeks of buying the bike, just as STI came out (early adopter). Did Snowdon on a thumb shifter from a basic bike shop in Bangor before it could be sorted. Well despite the 'this stuff won't work', the replacement STI's have been perfect for over 25 years....!!!!!!

We did Snowdon when a few in the club bought MTB's in the early 90's (winter training - so we all bought one), that was a blast. It's been hit by cars, more damage to cars, and it has been a crazy commuter with 1.2" slicks for a while. It was my Winter commuter with snow studs. It's now back as I intend to keep it, off road. It's Tange Cromo and is quality.

It is bloody frightening going down big off road rocky descents, with that road set up seat post, but my knees are happy. I don't go down hill fast, but it climbs like something else.

View attachment 127217
I tended to just go over the bars before I got a dropper as @dan_bo can testify....:whistle:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, I guessed that might be the case. I'm quite glad the previous owner upgraded the original canti's on mine to vee's.

Great job on the decals and paintwork too, looks showroom fresh in that pic - unlike my own!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just been out up at Haldon tackling the rock gardens again today. I tried hitting them with a bit more speed, and a few times it worked a charm - I think I spent more time in mid-air than bumping over the rocks :smile: However, after adopting this philosophy whole-heartedly and charging into another rock garden, instead of the bike going airborne I was lofted off the pedals and narrowly avoided a painful landing on the top tube! So this solution still needs a little work...

Cracking day out though, I'm really loving the rigid forks and am getting a bit more confident tackling things at speed with them. Even managed to jump a few drop-offs I normally roll down on one of the faster descents :biggrin:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
True, but I wouldn't have the confidence to ride these trails clipped in having never used SPDs before. I've got a pair of wellgo V8 copies coming to put on the bike, which should hopefully be a bit better than the cheapo plastic pedals that were (and still currently are) fitted when I bought it. They will also unfortunately hurt a lot more if I catch one in the shin!

clockworksimon

Über Member
I recently swapped my suspension forks for the original rigid forks on my Clockwork. Made the bike feel really light and fast again like when I first got it in the early 90s. Due to a bad back I replaced the original long low stem with one a bit higher along with shortened riser bars. Besides being more comfortable I also found it easier to ride technical descents. I replaced the cantis with V's too.

Top Bottom