Riding rock gardens on a rigid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just got back from a fab morning's riding at Haldon forest - my first trip to a trail centre since I swapped out the (lame, broken) suspension fork for a rigid one. The bike/fork were fantastic for 99% of the time, and I'm really pleased with the switch.

However... the rock gardens suddenly became a lot more "interesting" than they were before. My only tactic seems to be to go in with plenty of speed and hang on like grim death 'til I get to the other end (OK, I *try* to be as light on the bike as I can, but after the first jolt it all goes to pot). Didn't even have time to think about weighting/unweighting or front wheel lifts, and needless to say my eyeballs were juddering in my sockets the whole way!

Anyone got any tips to make riding rock gardens more comfortable/controlled/pro-active?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Get a fs bike..
rock gardens are well bumpy..
you could try big high volume tyres..but check your frame will take 2.2 + tyres..ie continental trail kings are very big ..but should be ok on the front..and a mountain king rear..
see what tyres fit your bike and run them at lower pressures, if your at 40psi try 30

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
When the current tyres run out I'm definitely up-sizing (currently 2.1 front 1.95 rear), but it seems silly to switch out the current set until they're worn out. I think I probably have clearance for 2.4 front which might help a touch. I'm running 35-40psi at the moment - lower would help a bit I guess, but don't want to reduce it too much since the trails are pretty rocky and one of my riding buddies did suffer two pinch flats today.

I can definitely believe rock gardens are more fun on a FS (I've never tried one out as of yet). I've ridden a borrowed HT 29er quite a bit (Charge Cooker, I think), and that obviously makes them a lot easier.... but on the whole I still far prefer my rigid 26er - even though I am probably a lot slower on it, it's somehow a lot more fun!

I wonder, eere rock gardens not so much of a thing pre-suspension?

Kajjal

Guru
Difficult, its a combination of brute force or maintaining momentum as required. Sometimes going slow and using your strength to force the bike over obstacles is best, other time keep your speed up. Unlike on a fs line choice is very important.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've been finding it's usually best to go in with as much momentum as I dare, unweight the bike over the first bit, and then hang on and hope. On the odd occasion I've decided to slow down significantly mid-way, I've always had to walk to the end. Uphill rock gardens usually end this way too.

Line choice is an interesting one. I've got used to micro-managing my line choice on the trail (in a way you just don't have to on a HT), but rock gardens have so many possible lines and hidden bumps it's tricky to pick an optimal line out when you're heading in at speed. Good point to work on next time though, thanks.

Padded shorts? Haha, I'm guessing you've not done much rigid MTB riding - if I was staying in the saddle over these bits, I'd need more than five pairs to save my underneaths! Five pairs of mitts might not be a bad idea though, they'd go nicely with the helium tyres ;)

Kajjal

Guru
Line choice on a rigid is a combination of learning by experience and how much pain you can put up with while keeping control of the bike :smile:

In the early 1990's before mobile phones, gps etc. we got lost near Edale in the peak district on rigid mountain bikes. After hours we got back to the car and had numb hands locked in the gripping the handle bar position. A very different ride to the long travel fs bikes people use now.

pawl

Legendary Member
Make sure the house who's rock garden you have decided to trash with your nobly tyres is not at home.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Yep, I had to uncurly my hands from their death grip around the bars at the end of the day's riding. Sounds like I'm not missing anything obvious at least, will get a few more under my belt and hopefully they'll get easier.

@screenman - respect, racing full tilt on a rigid MTB must have been pretty hardcore.... looks like I have a lot of toughening up to do!

Cumisky

My only working MTB these days is this.
1.jpg

Uphill rock gardens require finesse, good line choice and a fair bit of upper body strength.
Downhill, whilst needing all of the above is more dependent on unweighting with your body, committing to the descent and a prayer or two before launching off.
That said, I'm old enough to remember Steve Peat riding a rigid Kona and pretty much learnt to ride offroad before suspension was even dreamt about so, whilst I have never been that good a downhiller, I'm used to having my fillings shaken out so tend to descend without thinking too much about it, I imagine it is very different if one has grown up with suspension.
I still fall off a lot too :sad:

Top Bottom