Riding up Snowdon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I’ve just spent a lovely few days with my pash in Skegvegas, and today I drove across to Llanberis ready to ride up Snowdon tomorrow.

The weather is shoot at the moment, but it promises to be ok tomorrow.

I intend riding UP the Llanberis Path and DOWN the Ranger Path, hopefully I’ll be capturing the down part on a couple of GoPro’s, but I won’t be able to upload the footage until I return to Peterboring.

Hopefully i’ll get a few photos on here in the interim

Watch this space...........

I’ve done it. 4000ft of up and a max of 32mph on the way down

But not without incident, I had to push the bike the last 2 miles up as there was a foot of snow and compacted ice.

On the way down, I took the longer Rangers Path, went flying over the handlebars and broke the gear shifter clean off the handlebars, bruised my chest and starboard leg landing on a load of rocks.
Once I’d patched up the gear shifter wth a zip tie I carried on, fell a few more times but no more damage to myself or the treader
2 miles before getting back to Llanberis I split the tyre and buckled the wheel on a sharp drop, and being tubeless, lost all the wind out of the tyre. So I had to chuck in a tube and more or less nurse it home

But......I’ve done it, and that’s all I wanted to achieve
A5006E34-2321-4DFC-B190-5B394CD8659C.jpeg
97016167-8296-4F04-9C20-23AC77B81434.jpeg
179C455C-BECE-4471-B6AB-DADA215F4743.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I’ve done it. 4000ft of up and a max of 32mph on the way down

But not without incident, I had to push the bike the last 2 miles up as there was a foot of snow and compacted ice.

On the way down, I took the longer Rangers Path, went flying over the handlebars and broke the gear shifter clean off the handlebars, bruised my chest and starboard leg landing on a load of rocks.
Once I’d patched up the gear shifter wth a zip tie I carried on, fell a few more times but no more damage to myself or the treader
2 miles before getting back to Llanberis I split the tyre and buckled the wheel on a sharp drop, and being tubeless, lost all the wind out of the tyre. So I had to chuck in a tube and more or less nurse it home

But......I’ve done it, and that’s all I wanted to achieve
View attachment 403069 View attachment 403070 View attachment 403071
I couldn't imagine it being worth the effort, pain or repair bills. Although those pics are rather nice!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It’s a great day out!! I did a similar route a few years ago in October.
It was a bit nippy and freezing cold 50mph winds at the summit.
It’s a great sense of achievement, isn’t it!?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Thanks for the images,
I walked up the Miners Path (2013)and had to hang onto the trig thingy to get my photo taken and came back down the Llanberis path.
I was in the area just over a week ago but the choo choo wasn't on (for the missus).
We'll be back down.

I couldn't cycle it though.
Hope you heal quickly.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Interesting. Is it a bridleway or a footpath up to the summit?

Trickedem

Guru
Well done. I have climbed Snowdon more times than I can remember and I have seen every sort of weather. Would love to do it on a bike though, although probably not via Crib Goch

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tell us about your bike and tyre choice, please, Biff. Last time down the railway path for me was about 2am (running not riding, I hasten to add) in the first mountain stage of a Three Peaks Yacht Race. Not surprised you had a few 'offs' down there.

Thanks for the likes and comments folks, I'm back at home now after another 250 mile drive........500 driven miles to ride my bike 11 !!!

I'm a tad achy and I have a cracking bruise on my leg that looks like a map of Africa.

I popped in the bike shop before getting home, I don't need a new shifter as there is a second screw hole that can be used, and my wheel isn't buckled either, when I put the tube in, I hadn't seated the tyre squarely, thus giving the effect of it being out of whack. saying that it was hugely entertaining reaching a maximum of 32 mph on the loose stuff with an elliptical tyre !!

So a super result all round !!

Biff600 are you a matelot by any chance?

I was, 25 years and 72 days of sailing about in a grey bringer of death and destruction, defending the country and keeping the bogeyman from your doors, what gave it away? The port & starboard grips ?

Top Bottom