Riding Whilst Drunk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
simon_brooke said:
A friend of mine was arrested, charged and fined for being drunk in charge of a vehicle on Princes Street in Edinburgh in 1972 or 73; the vehicle in question was a child's perambulator. I don't think the law says anything special about motor vehicles.
Could have been very interesting if he'd appealed it far enough up the courts to create precedent, as presumably the finding that a child's perambulator is in law a vehicle would be enough to make it illegal to push them on the footway

May be different in Scotland as well, though.

ChrisKH

Guru
simon_brooke said:
A friend of mine was arrested, charged and fined for being drunk in charge of a vehicle on Princes Street in Edinburgh in 1972 or 73; the vehicle in question was a child's perambulator. I don't think the law says anything special about motor vehicles.

Depends on your definiton. I see some that say 'except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks'. Depends what the law says or case law I suppose. Scotland's always been a bit weird in that respect. :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I find that cycling when drunk is dangerous because the traffic cone on your head slips down over your eyes.:biggrin:

g00se

Veteran
Back in the day - my Grandad went to cycle home from the pub - it must have been in the 50s...

He was in Somerset and had been on the Cider. He felt clear headed enough until he came across a skip. Someone had left the planks leading up to it for the wheelbarrows and Grandad couldn't manage to break or steer away. In he went....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
By the way in answer to the OP it is routine for some people I ride with to have 3 or 4 pints. I don't know how they do it myself, if I have more than half a pint (over any stretch of time) and cycle I feel very dehydrated indeed. So it's not something I do.

On the risks side I think you have to bear in mind the route, distance and how much you've had to drink. I think from what I've encountered in other people once you get into 10+ units territory you're asking for trouble. I had a friend borrow my bike and cycle back from a neighbouring town on cycle paths on 6+ pints. I'm very glad he didn't go on the roads. One also has to bear in mind say the risk of assault waiting for a taxi or walking home which are fair risks. Walking home is not without its risk either, thousands of people end up injured or hospitalised doing just that. I think overall if you are going to get drunk cycling is one of the better options, not the safest (far from the most dangerous) but not far off and pretty practical. The safest is to drink as little as possible and have fun.

I don't think cycling whilst on the phone is a good idea. Then again, in the same vein it's not illegal and you can't go round equating that to driving round a large metal box with perhaps a hundred times the KE.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
blazed said:
What is everyones opinion on cycling whilst using the phone?

Only slightly less stupid than cycling while drunk.

What is it with you? You're happy to ride when drunk or on the phone, both activities are illegal when driving a car. Have you thought about why this is? Primarily because of the danger you become to OTHER road users. I think you might be better of walking.

Looks like a wind up to me.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
PaulSB said:
Only slightly less stupid than cycling while drunk.

What is it with you? You're happy to ride when drunk or on the phone, both activities are illegal when driving a car. Have you thought about why this is? Primarily because of the danger you become to OTHER road users. I think you might be better of walking.

Looks like a wind up to me.

If the dangers were so great to other road users they would be illegal, this country doesnt beat about the bush when it comes to laws and restrictions.

You may think its dangerous but then plenty of people think riding a bicycle in anyway shape or form on the road is a danger to other road users. If it is legal clearly it is not that dangerous... Unless you have any statistics of road accidents caused by cyclists intoxicated or on the phone?

wafflycat

blazed said:
Good thanks. I road about 20 miles to a party last night and thought i may as well take the bike for every night out. It will save me about £90 a time in cab fares as well.

I have a high tolerance to alcohol so I'm not worried about not being able to ride as usual but a breathalyzer would still show me as over the limit.

The above seems a damn silly thing to do. Do you have to consume alcohol to have a good time at a party? Why would you want to consume an amount of alcohol that *will* impair your judgement and think it's ok to ride a bike? Ok, so you're not likely to seriously injure someone else (I hope) but pity the poor motorist who has stayed dober all night and alcohol induced you pulls out from a give way junction straight into the path of the oncoming car because the alcohol you've consumed and thus misjudged the speed of and injures or kills you and it really isn't the fault of the driver. It's simply really - don''t drink & drive so don't drink & cycle.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
wafflycat said:
The above seems a damn silly thing to do. Do you have to consume alcohol to have a good time at a party? Why would you want to consume an amount of alcohol that *will* impair your judgement and think it's ok to ride a bike? Ok, so you're not likely to seriously injure someone else (I hope) but pity the poor motorist who has stayed dober all night and alcohol induced you pulls out from a give way junction straight into the path of the oncoming car because the alcohol you've consumed and thus misjudged the speed of and injures or kills you and it really isn't the fault of the driver. It's simply really - don''t drink & drive so don't drink & cycle.

Clearly they are not even close to being the same, and since the laws are different why should the same apply?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
blazed said:
Clearly they are not even close to being the same, and since the laws are different why should the same apply?

You're being very silly about this. Just because the law is different it doesn't mean to say it's sensible to act in this way. If you want to risk an accident on your cycle because you're drunk then go ahead but consider this; a drunk cyclist pulls out in front of a car, the alcohol free car driver swerves to miss the cyclist mounts the pavement and kills your child.

Under those circumstances I've no doubt you wouldn't hold the cyclist in anyway responsible. You might like to be honest with yourself in the reply.

You are basically putting forward the same arguement as drink drivers - alcohol doesn't influence me, I can drive when I want.

ASC1951

Guru
wafflycat said:
Do you have to consume alcohol to have a good time at a party?
Yes, for most of us - that is the point of them.

I won't drive over the limit, because I'm in charge of half a ton going at significant speeds. I do occasionally cycle over the limit, but only if my return route is off-road or somewhere where I am not a danger to myself or others. I will only cycle while seriously impaired if I am somewhere where I am no danger to anyone but myself - e.g. three miles down a lane in the Lakes where you can see a car coming half a mile away and have ample time to tumble in the ditch - and TBH I haven't even done that for a few years.

striker

I wouldn't drive a car after having more than a half (and then only rarely) but will cycle home after a party.

Reasons: 1) You can cycle home slowly and carefully
2) I don't drink so much that I can't cycle (There is a big difference in the amount of alcohol required to fail the breath test and be incapable of cycling safely (IMO))
3) The size, weight and damage that can be inflicted by a car is significantly greater and therefore the rule and penalties need to be far stricter.

As with all things, sensible drinking and sensible behaviour is key

Top Bottom