Riding Whilst Drunk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
PaulSB said:
You're being very silly about this. Just because the law is different it doesn't mean to say it's sensible to act in this way. If you want to risk an accident on your cycle because you're drunk then go ahead but consider this; a drunk cyclist pulls out in front of a car, the alcohol free car driver swerves to miss the cyclist mounts the pavement and kills your child.

Under those circumstances I've no doubt you wouldn't hold the cyclist in anyway responsible. You might like to be honest with yourself in the reply.

You are basically putting forward the same arguement as drink drivers - alcohol doesn't influence me, I can drive when I want.

Do you know of that ever happening? Or a drunk cyclist causing the death of anybody? If we lived everyday using extreme scenarios like yours we would never leave our homes.

For me personally i can have a few drinks and still be perfectly capable of anything a sober person is, i am not talking about riding my bike after 20 drinks.

I will cycle after two or three pints, but any more than that and I won't. I feel fine, but know my responses are more sluggish and vague.

I cycle in town and do not want to be the bloke that goes under a car and lays the guilt on an innocent driver.

NutSack

Drink driving and drink cycling may be 2 seperate things but both come down to preservation of life and limb, albeit the car obviously that of others whilst cycling mainly to yourself. Just remember that even if it is only you who is hurt/dead it is the likes of me and my colleagues who have to deal with the incident and your greiving family whilst the paramedic is shovelling up your road-rashed sorry remains.

IMO if you are adult enough to drink and judge your own alcohol intake then you are adult enough to take the consequences whatever they may be if it all goes wrong. And it doesn't matter what you are driving or riding you can seriously injure or kill someone, just take a look at the very recent incident involving a pensioner and a mobility scooter...and they were sober.

wafflycat

ASC1951 said:
Yes, for most of us - that is the point of them.

Quite a few of us can go to a party and have a damn good time without having to have alcohol in the equation. For quite a few of us alcohol isn't a necessity or the point, especially when in charge of the transport to get home.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I don't cycle while drunk because someone at work who does smashed himself up quite badly doing so (no cars involved he just had very little balance and a very slow response time). He ended up with deep grazing across one side of his face and various parts of his legs, a lot of bruising and a huge loss of respect. He was wearing a helmet and that was smashed to hell as well as his head had hit the edge of the kerb.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
PaulSB said:
You're being very silly about this. Just because the law is different it doesn't mean to say it's sensible to act in this way. If you want to risk an accident on your cycle because you're drunk then go ahead but consider this; a drunk cyclist pulls out in front of a car, the alcohol free car driver swerves to miss the cyclist mounts the pavement and kills your child.

Under those circumstances I've no doubt you wouldn't hold the cyclist in anyway responsible. You might like to be honest with yourself in the reply.

You are basically putting forward the same arguement as drink drivers - alcohol doesn't influence me, I can drive when I want.

False choice. If you're involved in an accident you steer for the one doing the least damage. If the driver steers onto the pavement then that's their fault they killed the child. Please think up a better example.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
coruskate said:
So how do we all feel about drink-walking?

Just as bad as drink driving. What if you walk in front of a bus on london bridge causing the bus to go over the edge and fall onto a ferry.

purplepolly

striker said:
1) You can cycle home slowly and carefully
2) I don't drink so much that I can't cycle (There is a big difference in the amount of alcohol required to fail the breath test and be incapable of cycling safely (IMO))
3) The size, weight and damage that can be inflicted by a car is significantly greater and therefore the rule and penalties need to be far stricter.

Precisely.

I hardly ever drink, and never when driving, but managed to safely cycle home in the dark at christmas, in perfect control of the bike, after a couple of large glasses of wine.

OK drunk cycling is another matter, but being a bit over the legal limit for driving a large vehicle at 40mph doesn't mean you can't cycle safely especially if you're just taking it easy.

NutSack

notsolazy said:
Im sure (hopefully someone will tell me if im wrong) that they thought they were buying what we call London bridge, but its a small bridge called London bridge, not the London bridge
No idea of the details if I'm honest, but I find the idea of someone buying a whole bridge only to find its not the one they thought it was quite amusing, I mean its not a car or a something small its a huge great landmark :biggrin:

Top Bottom