Riding with a cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toeknee

Über Member
hi all,

Due to do my 3rd sky ride social in a week tomorrow, but awoke this morning with cold symptoms, runny nose,
Slight headache, legs a bit sore, but think that is from the ride on Thursday. Do you still ride when feeling like this, or give it a miss till symptoms clear up. Or will it indeed do me good ( sweat it out ) . Advice appreciated.

Regards

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
How far and hard a ride will it be?

You'll probably be ok, just take lots of tissues. If you start to cough or any tightness / soreness around chest, give it a miss. Couple of paracetamol before you leave

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I am all for the 'sweating it out theory' but thats not saying I am right......

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I commute so occasionally have to ride with a cold. Its rubbish, usually end up feeling worse and if you have to ride take it steady and remember your body is fighting off illness so don't try and set any strava records :rolleyes:

Depends where you are with it. At the beginning you may make it worse, at the worst you may not feel like riding and after that, provided it's not on your chest you'll be fine but tired, until near the end when it may finally clear it. I woke up on New Years day with a damn cold: Arse!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Head cold probably fine, if not the best of fun, but I would say if it is in your chest it is better to rest.

Venod

Eh up
I am always undecided whether to exercise through a cold, I think it depends on how severe it is, I went on a hilly club ride just before Christmas it was a 18-20mph average ride that would normally be no problem but I struggled so much so that I decided to turn back so as not to slow the group too much, I blamed the head cold for my poor performance.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Has this been anyone else's worst winter for colds?

Mine keep reoccurring what seems like every few weeks
last year , I cant remember having one of any note
if it wasn't for everyone else I know having similar -my hypochondria would be working overtime ...

PS - rest - it has made me worse generally & now gone to my chest

PK99

Legendary Member
hi all,

Due to do my 3rd sky ride social in a week tomorrow, but awoke this morning with cold symptoms, runny nose,
Slight headache, legs a bit sore, but think that is from the ride on Thursday. Do you still ride when feeling like this, or give it a miss till symptoms clear up. Or will it indeed do me good ( sweat it out ) . Advice appreciated.

Regards

Tony.

head cold = ride

below the neck = rest up as serious heart problem can result

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
I didn't go in the end, symptoms just got steadily worse through the day, I've also got a worrying pain in my right hip/ top of leg. This could be that I'm not the greatest for hills, the 1st ride last Sunday involved hill reps on an industrial estate not far from me, then last Thursday, we ventured down into park gate, and I did my first climb off the front up boathouse lane
( crackle will know we're I mean. ) anyway I hope these two rides combined, havnt caused any damage. Will see how I go this week.

Thanks
Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't go in the end, symptoms just got steadily worse through the day, I've also got a worrying pain in my right hip/ top of leg. This could be that I'm not the greatest for hills, the 1st ride last Sunday involved hill reps on an industrial estate not far from me, then last Thursday, we ventured down into park gate, and I did my first climb off the front up boathouse lane
( crackle will know we're I mean. ) anyway I hope these two rides combined, havnt caused any damage. Will see how I go this week.

Thanks
Tony.
Did you stretch properly after the ride?

@Gravity Aided (I think) for his excellent post ride stretches pdf

Top Bottom