Riding with Audax Rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cat

Im doing my first 75 mile cycle, Riding with Audax rules, i havn't a clue, what these rules are.

I know that it is to ride long distances at a measured pace and that it is NOT a race, but other than that i dont know much.

Is there set rules that you have to have mud guards? and what other rules are there?

Are there set distances to the control points or are these set by the event orgainsers?

If they are set distances set by Audax what are they for a 75 mile ride and what times do you have to do these in? avg speed etc?

I'm doing this event http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk/index.aspx?expand=Events&file=E-orchidcycle-Essex anyone else doing this? :smile:

Zoom

Über Member
welcome to Audax Cat; be warned though it's addictive :smile:

the "rules" are all expained here http://www.aukweb.net/index2.htm under FAQ

but it's fairly relaxed,you do have to complete the event at a minimum average speed of between 12.5 -15 km/ h depending on distance; and that includes all stops, but it's quite easy to do. A 75 mile ride is a 120km or Populaire although many are 100 and there are even 50s, all of which are ideal for beginners, after that the distances go 150 200 300 400 600 1000 1200 etc (I told you it was addictive!!).

Mudguards are only compulsory if there is an M shown on the calendar page (www.audax.uk/net/cal).

You can probably expect refreshments every 50 km or maybe less on a shorther ride (probably every30-40 on a 120); although most rides will take you past other places eg shops if need be. To ensure you stick to the route (and thus distance) there are usually info controls where you just have to note eg the distance on a signpost to prove you were there,all explained in the Brevet card you are given on the day.

Enjoy :biggrin: which ride is it?

OP
OP
C

Cat

Its one for the "Orchid - fighting male cancer" charity on the 8th June.....

details can be found on the link below

http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk/index.aspx?expand=Events&file=E-orchidcycle-Essex

It doesnt show it on the calender.

My only fear is that i will get lost as its not fully signposted, hence my sat nav for bikes post lol :biggrin:

Is it addictive coz you can get medals/awards etc for doing them?

Will i get anything for the 75 mile, i want a medal :smile: lol

Zoom

Über Member
Never heard of a ride being run to Audax rules that isn't an Audax ride before but I see where they are coming from and it sounds good.

Proper Audax rides just have "turn left, turn right, go straight over roundabout" etc so not sure if this ride will be signed or not. If you can get hold of a route sheet before the event you can plug the directions into your GPS which will help; just make sure you enter the names of villages it goes through in case you get lost.

OP
OP
C

Cat

It says on the website it is run to audax rules & is not fully signposted....

They are also doing:

The “Essex-Tunner” 100 mile ride is a timed cyclo-sportive event for the experienced distance cyclist

The 75 mile route is run to Audax rules and is not fully sign posted

The 20 and 40 mile routes are fully signposted with checkpoints

I havt got full access to the calender, maybe why? its asking for user name and password

Zoom

Über Member
Cat said:
It says on the website it is run to audax rules & is not fully signposted....

I havt got full access to the calender, maybe why? its asking for user name and password

that's correct; only AUK members can view the whole calendar more than a couple of months ahead; but if you click on the month letters on the left eg J F M A you can see each months at a time.

I've checked; it's not there. To have an event listed in the calendar you have to be a recognised organiser,also a member of AUK and do a bit of paperwork to have the ride included (I'm an organiser and it's a hard but rewarding job). Nothing to stop anyone else running an event along the same lines though; I think the CTC do the same (AUK rules are based on similar ones used all over the world)

OP
OP
C

Cat

hmmmmm, i wonder why? unless they aint registered it with them and are just running it to audax rules (is that allowed?)

I dont understand it :smile:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I don't think there's anything to worry about. They are just trying to give the 75 and the 100 mile events different identities, by referring to them as 'audax' and sportives.

In essence, a sportive is against the clock with no maximum speed limit so club riders can treat it as a race. They also tend to have the route marked and organised 'refuelling' stops and seem to tolerate support vehicles and back up.

'Under Audax rules' is merely shorthand to suggest that it's not an all out race as there is a maximum speed allowed between controls. There is also a greater emphasis on self sufficiency, so you will be expected to find your own way using the 'route sheet' (and perhaps your own map), plus carry whatever you might need with you, stopping only for food and drink along the way in cafes or shops.

They're trying to offer as much choice as possible so it appeals to as many different types of cyclists as possible. I don't think they're implying it was an Audax UK sanctioned event. Perhaps audax with a little 'a', if you like.

I would doubt if they were going to assume people would know the technicalities of which AUK events do and do not require mudguards. Therefore go with whatever you want to ride.

OP
OP
C

Cat

Cool, thanks all :sad:

Top Bottom