Riding With No Hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know what it is but I have a mental block when I come to do it. It feels easy enough at first but I just cant remove my hands completely; the furthest I can go is just having the pinky on the stem. It would be useful if I could manage it make eating on the move a lot easier and would enable me to put on/ take off the gilet etc on the move also.

Keep pedalling, back straight, rear central, you should be able to take that pinky off.

Not to mention pointing to your sponsor's logo, kissing your crucifix and/or wedding ring, firing a finger-thumb-pistol or pretending to make a mobile phone call at the end of your ride.

All incredibly useful things indeed.

mr Mag00

rising member
i find it useful as i can never make or receive a phone call without using my other hand to gesticulate too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I do it on longer rides to stretch my back if i start feeling a bit stiff. Agree with the previous posts to sit up straight when doing it rather than lifting hands off the bars while still leaning forward.

Crankarm

Guru
I find I can't ride without my hands, as I can't get them off. Even if I could I probably wouldn't be able to put them back on not having any hands to do so :wacko: . It would be terribly messy as well.

Plus riding with no hands would mean you couldn't give a moton the finger ;).

Sun Superlight

As a kid I used to be able to ride with no hands, but having reached the age of 64 I'm now finding that I overcompensate to steer in stead of relaxing and letting it happen.
Strange thing is though I can still stand on my head and balance upside down for ages.

e-rider

crappy member
I used to always ride with no hands when I was younger; didn't think twice about it. Tried it recently after about 12 years of not doing it and now can't do it at all! It also seams much more dangerous and risky than it used to!

Young Un

Road bike geo shouldn't stop you. Me and clubmates have competitions to see who can go furthest non handed - we once did 5 miles without touching the bars. Just find a nice quiet country lane, lean bike, and let your mojo flow.

DavieB

MIA
It used to be soooo easy. I last done it about 6 year ago on my Hardrock, could go round corners and all sorts, was thinking about trying it on my road bike today and couldnt bring myself to let go..

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Something I did as a kid....
rolleyes.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I did it as a kid and recently proved to myself that I could still do it, but I don't have the need and the risks weigh far more heavily on me nowadays - or I've just gone chicken in my old age.

It's a useful skill if you need to ride non stop, I don't so I don't do it. It's also one of the funniest spectator moments when it all goes wrong.

Top Bottom