Riding with your dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melissa

Regular
Hi all, I want to take my mini schnauzer with me on rides. I've put her in a backpack a few times and she seems to love cycling. I'd like a pet seat or bag that provides more safety so she's strapped in and can't jump out to chase a squirrel. Any advice? I have a racer so it would have to be rear mounted seat. Thanks in advance.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A pet seat!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
^^^

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003CJ7HAC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

may be a bit bulky for a racing bike tho.

Has it got a rack or is it equipped with lugs & fixing points for a one. If no to both questions there are options with P clips or Bontrager do a nice one that supplies a top bracket to fit into your rear brake set up & needs your rear wheel to be quick release as it provides a longer QR skewer to fix the rack at the bottom.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A rear mounted seat or box is better than a handlebar mounted fixture.

Our dog sat fine in a box on the back but got travel sick on a handlebar mounted basket. If you want to ride with it in the front you may need to rig a carrier up that doesn't move with the handlebar.

Steve

OP
OP
M

Melissa

Regular
Yes, I've got a rack and am considering the option shouldbeinbed posted. It does look quite bulky for a racer and a small dog. I was hoping someone had another option. But if that's all there is I'll take it. Thanks everyone.

JayMac

Try getting a child trailer, it's all zipped up from the outside and covered in mesh to stop kamikaze dog!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Or a dog trailer! @coffeejo carries the lovely Snipe in one!
Snipe 7july13 (480x640).jpg

Quick photo op while she's not howling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Got the same trailer as @coffeejo , my cat goes to the vet in it quite happily - put him in the cat carrier first, of course ^_^

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I`ve seen a man cycling on the Alloa-Dunfermline cycle path with the same dog trailer that coffeejo has posted...the dog looked bored and the thing was built like a whippet to, everychance it would have been faster than the man doing all the pulling on the bike

I could help laughing when i past him

buggi

Bird Saviour
i was gonna say a trailer. it will be more secure for your dog. my mum suggested this for my dog. think its a great idea :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
This was taken some years ago. The little dog knew she was onto a good thing for her walkies. So was I. I later married her mum!

trailer.jpg
Jake Mangelwurzel married his dog. The dog eventually had pups, and he kept one of them, naming him Manoyle. He always referred to Manoyle as his son, but claimed he was the product of an immaculate conception. He swore that his relationship with the mother was purely platonic, and he knew she wouldn't have considered being unfaithful to him.

Google is probably your friend. Jake used to visit us regularly, very entertaining to talk to.

Top Bottom