Ridley Helium sl build-Finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's now N+3 and with the Trek build I now have another one to start and plan;this was too much of a bargain to miss really,a pro-level/UCI spec frame for the cost of a consumer version.
This may be a long build depending on how I decide to fund it but I'm planning on getting an 11-speed Ultegra groupset with Deda finishing kit;my Zondas currently on the Icarus will be used;this is to keep initial costs down but hopefully a set of hand-builts(something like Hed Belgium rims with Hope hubs) will be purchased when funds allow.
I also have a Deda zero 100 service course stem(currently on the cross-bike) which I will use although I'm not sure about pairing it with my favoured Newton bars which seem to be only available in black,will have to see what it looks like.
Anyway enough waffling some crappy phone pics to tide over;
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They do make some nice bikes - I rather like playing with there custom colour configurator.

Nice frame!

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Update on this;

Had a dry fit of some bits this week-end just to see what it's going to look like;

DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

Don't think the white stem and black bars look too bad and the red graphics on the Zondas don't clash too much.

Build may get done quicker than I thought as I have now ordered an Ultegra groupset with 105 carbon pedals,Deda carbon seat-post from Merlin.Also got a second-hand Fizik saddle from e-ghey and some bar tape and other bits from Wiggle.Got to ring the LBS and get them to fit the crown-race to the forks and a PF30 adapter for the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 55

tiermat

Looks good, apart from that stem! It is totally wrong, I am sorry to say.

Ridley make some corking bikes, pity their sponsored teams don't have the riders to match the ability of the steeds.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Looks good, apart from that stem! It is totally wrong, I am sorry to say.

Ridley make some corking bikes, pity their sponsored teams don't have the riders to match the ability of the steeds.

Well it's on there as I have it and it's the service course version so a bit wasted on the cross bike,it might get changed when funds allow but using it at the moment lessens the blow of buying other parts(ie I can get the superzero seat post)

Oh and Vuelta and TDF stage wins,yellow jersey for a day,Eneco tour winner and 16 stage wins for Greipel;not too shabby really considering it's not got the budget of the likes of Tinkof,Sky and Omega-pharma/qs.

tiermat

I hear what you are saying, about the stem. I just think it would be better in black, at the moment it sticks out like a sore thumb (says he who has a white stem on his Inbred 29er)

Ridley seem very good at sponsoring teams that bag a few stage wins, but never, really, bother the GC. They, somehow, managed it when they were sponsoring VacanSoleil and now with Lotto-Belisol. Now if they could just get in with, say OPQ or Katusha, they would be made (I know they sponsored Katusha in 2009-2010, but maybe they could revisit old ground?). Greipel is just one man, though and Sky have proved you can't build a team around just one rider.

FWIW I still miss my, bottom of the range, Ridley Triton-T, and hope to, soon, get a X-Bow Allroad or maybe even a X-Night 10/20/30 Disc.

Cyclist33

Update on this;

Had a dry fit of some bits this week-end just to see what it's going to look like;

View attachment 61342 View attachment 61343 View attachment 61346

Don't think the white stem and black bars look too bad and the red graphics on the Zondas don't clash too much.

Build may get done quicker than I thought as I have now ordered an Ultegra groupset with 105 carbon pedals,Deda carbon seat-post from Merlin.Also got a second-hand Fizik saddle from e-ghey and some bar tape and other bits from Wiggle.Got to ring the LBS and get them to fit the crown-race to the forks and a PF30 adapter for the bottom bracket.

Gorge.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Nice collection of boxes arrived yesterday;

DSC_0015.jpg

Will have to wait to fit anything until I get the BB and forks to the LBS.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Frame now at the LBS for BB and PF30 adapter fitting,didn't need to take the fork as I realised the crown race has an expansion slot so pushed easily on to the fork.
Last pic of the dry fit with the superero post and second-hand Fizik saddle and I think the stem doesn't stand out so much now with the white on the saddle;

Helium14-09-14-1.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Looking good so far. Like others I'm not sold on the stem, but it may work. It's easily swappable for not too many ££ if not though.

Not much left to do, gonna be mint when finished!

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Looking good so far. Like others I'm not sold on the stem, but it may work. It's easily swappable for not too many ££ if not though.

Not much left to do, gonna be mint when finished!

Cheers,hope so.

Things moving along quicker than I thought it would although it will be at least a week at the LBS as they are a bit snowed under at the moment.

Top Bottom