Riese & Muller - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoStews

Hi

I want to replace the entirety of my day-to-day car use with a cargo bike. This will include commuting, school/nursery run, family transport, shopping and everything in between.

After much online research, the front runner is the Riese & Muller Load 75. It is frighteningly expensive, but I'm serious about this and am selling my car to fund it.

Anyone here have any experience of R&M, either as a brand or even better, of their cargo bikes specifically?

I'm going to test ride one at a dealer on Friday, but I welcome any thoughts or experience that anyone has here.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
What a great thing to do!

Gillstay

Über Member
They look well thought out. y brother used to cargo bike his daughter to school which was up hill and then leave her and her cycle there.
Then in the evening he would collect her on his road bike and they could cycle home together in central London.
It worked very well as the daughter could start to do it early on as she only had a short distance to do, but he would ever have thought to do it until he had bought the bike.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I may be wrong But I think Pale rider had one. Not the cargo bike mind you. He liked it a lot.

Seem like really well made bikes, but they are expensive.

Great idea to get away from a car especially if you live in a city.

OP
OP
TwoStews

TwoStews

They look well thought out. y brother used to cargo bike his daughter to school which was up hill and then leave her and her cycle there.
Then in the evening he would collect her on his road bike and they could cycle home together in central London.
It worked very well as the daughter could start to do it early on as she only had a short distance to do, but he would ever have thought to do it until he had bought the bike.
I love the idea of loading the 'big' bike up with kids and their bikes and heading out for the day!

OP
OP
TwoStews

TwoStews

Load 75 electric cargo bike. £6500 approximately

Make sure its well alarmed, locked and secure.

Have a fallback bike when it need repair/service/stolen etc
https://spokeandmotor.co.uk/collections/riese-and-muller-load-75-range
Yeah, the service/repair thing worries me a bit. There's no dealer in Sheffield, so I'd have to travel further afield. This would likely mean sticking it in the back of my brother's van and driving it for an hour or so. Needs investigating.

R&M have an inbuilt chip called RX which can be used the track the bike if stolen. In some European countries they have ain insurance service which means if they can't track and recover a stolen bike in 7 days, they'll replace it! I'm not sure if it's available in the UK yet though.

OP
OP
TwoStews

TwoStews

I may be wrong But I think Pale rider had one. Not the cargo bike mind you. He liked it a lot.

Seem like really well made bikes, but they are expensive.

Great idea to get away from a car especially if you live in a city.
We live in Sheffield, so it's a viable everyday solution. We're also fortune enough to have a garage in which we can keep it as it's a big old beast!

CXRAndy

Guru
Yeah, the service/repair thing worries me a bit. There's no dealer in Sheffield

I wouldn't go with a hub gear, even though they are less maintenance, just far more problems if you do get an issue. I would go with standard derailleur setup. Buy a spare derailleur and several hangers

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yeah, the service/repair thing worries me a bit. There's no dealer in Sheffield

I wouldn't go with a hub gear, even though they are less maintenance, just far more problems if you do get an issue. I would go with standard derailleur setup. Buy a spare derailleur and several hangers

I prefer a hub. I've had my current bike for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. Works perfectly.