Riese & Muller - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TwoStews

TwoStews

I'm torn between derailleur and hub. I have a nexus 8 on my workhorse commuter and it's been faultless over thousands of miles. But if a IGH does go wrong, there's not an easy/quick fix...

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm torn between derailleur and hub. I have a nexus 8 on my workhorse commuter and it's been faultless over thousands of miles. But if a IGH does go wrong, there's not an easy/quick fix...
IMO hub every time.

kynikos

Veteran
I have an R&M - but not a cargo - and can testify to what others have said. Build quality is superb and I'm sure it's no different with the cargo bikes.

Mine has an Enviolo 380 continuous hub gear which is a delight and has proved faultless.

Electric Transport Shop in York is very good, they sell and maintain lots of cargos - speak to John Campbell.

grldtnr

I prefer a hub. I've had my current bike for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. Works perfectly.
For a town/utility bike IGH every time, I would say o consider one for touring as well, I hav a 11 SPD hanging around to build up a camping bike ,when I get that round tuit I am waiting on, with a double chain set, I can have 22, different ratios, or at least a low range haul my self up mountains.
I ride a recumbent, its fitted with Sturmey combined hub/ delralliuer rear hub, with a single up front, I can go from high ratio to low ratio at a standstill, very important for a recumbent.