Right to repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So - the 'Right to Repair' act has now come in

Now - I have a Raleigh Motus - hence Bosh battery, motor and controller

so - if the battery starts to get a bit old - as it will - will Bosch give out a method of allowing 3rd parties to recell it??

and it the motor breaks after warranty expires - will they publish enough info for a 3rd party expert to repair it ???

more importantly - will they do it voluntarily - and if they do not can they be forced???

anyone know???

numbnuts

Legendary Member
i have no idea, but I have just paid £400 for a new one, one company wanted to charge me £395 just to recell it, so I went for the £400 as it was 6ah more so now I have 17ah = more miles :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
3rd parties can recell it, but only the few willing to buy the Bosch licences for the pooters. The software will always remain proprietary and will have to be paid for.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was looking at the cost of repair to my spare battery But it was going to cost me more than buying a new one.

carpiste

Guru
From what I read it is law so they will have to comply I guess. Whether that is themselves or third party business.
Either way it can only be good for the consumer.

gbb

Legendary Member
It might be, as with batteries, that the costs of repair make it prohibitive. The fact is it's still repairable but no-one is going to do it because if the cost. Company can therefore claim it IS repairable surely ?
Im not suggesting thats fair as far as the consumer is concerned but that may be the reality.

gbb

Legendary Member
Looking at a quick article on the subject, manufacturers of white goods in particular, tvs, 'home displays'what ever ghey may be...but excluding laptops, computers etc, will have to supply spares at the latest from 2 years of a products arrival and 7 to 10 years after its discontinuation.

And as i alluded above, the cost may be prohibitive even if they are available and may not be available to the public acording to the article.

Bikes and components (as well as almost everything else you buy) arent mentioned although hopefully may follow in the future

Interesting, so the government will need to allow quartz bulbs for lamps which can't take LED for 7 years after the lamps no longer made? It seems that's not the case, and quartz bulbs are being discontinued. So those with G9 bulbs have a problem.

Seems there are going to be exceptions, it does seem cars now use some sort of common computer connection and it no longer needs dealer only to reset engine management.

However with an e-bike I note mine I can alter to use twist grip control by pressing up/down buttons together and scrolling through the options, so I can make the e-bike illegal for UK use without need of a tool, not sure if this is really what should be allowed? I found out how to change from kph to mph, but so many other options.

What I want to try is how well will the walk assist work with the Bosch to allow motor to push one without peddling? Too steep here to really test it out, but once third party assess permitted then would be easy I suspect to alter so can ride without peddling. Mine already has that option, and it is so tempting to enable it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cynical me, I suspect we are all hopeful that we will have items that are manufactured so they are repairable...but in reality, take washing machine drums, nowadays it's common to have one piece drums with integrated bearings, one of the most common things a DIYer used to be able to fix, nowadays not really possible due to design. The hope would be they stop that kind of thing....but why would they ? It's obviously cheaper for them, and all they have to do is have is have a drum/bearing available as spares, which of course is prohibitive and still would be, so they met the criteria but we're no better off.
And what level of spares should be available ?...everything on a machine ?
It's something that's got everyone really excited,but I suspect the reality will be quite different. I hope im wrong of course.

I have a manual which came with my e-bike, it clearly came as a kit of parts, although I got is second hand so already assembled, but the important bits, how to set to MPH instead of KPH, what the brake pads are called and how to order replacements, nothing. Or even a warning about what happens if the disc brakes are not adjusted. I found out the hard way on a previous bike with cable disc brakes.

When I did my cycling proficiency in the 1950's we had brake blocks, and the main thing was to fit them right way around so the rubber did not shoot out. And if the brakes were bad you realised when doing light braking, unlike the modern disc where they slow you down fine, but then do not work any better no matter how hard you squeeze the lever.

The whole reason why the Landrover was loved world wide was you could repair it. Not so today, it needs a computer plugging in to work out what has gone wrong. But no excuse with a push bike, one should be able to carry all you need to keep it going.

OP
OP
E
My original ebike was a Powacycle and they were very helpful when I needed spare parts
My new on has Bosch ebike stuff - I haven;t needed any spares yet but people on here seem to think they are not so helpful

And, of course, as far as the battery is concerned - they can cite safety as the reason

Top Bottom