Right to repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Whilst in theory it is an excellent idea returning to repair and reuse as was the norm years ago, I suspect manufacturers will consider it another way to squeeze extra cash from products.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hilights why the standard bike with gear cables and downtube or bar end shifters and stand alone brakes and spoked wheels is great. It’s simple enough that pretty much anyone can repair and replace parts on their bike. But mostly it just keeps working for decades other than worn out parts.

Hilights why the standard bike with gear cables and downtube or bar end shifters and stand alone brakes and spoked wheels is great. It’s simple enough that pretty much anyone can repair and replace parts on their bike. But mostly it just keeps working for decades other than worn out parts.
exactly - with bikes folk can ensure that they can ride pretty much to the end of their days as long as they stick to simple stuff. Rapidfires up to 9 speed won't be a realistic problem either I feel.
Of course some folk like their stuff to be cutting edge/different/not used by the crowd .....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not aware of any UK companies who can recell Bosch batteries, like Apple, the system is locked down.

Some sites look promising, but when you delve into them Bosch stuff is usually excluded.

As a company, Bosch undertake to make all spares available for at least seven years after the item drops out of their original equipment catalogue.

In the case of a battery that would only be a new one, currently about £700.

A lot of money, but were recelling possible it would be about £500.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Bosch wont be using anything special re their batteries, just good quality branded Samsung/Panasonic/LG etc. Time spent researching, investing in a spot welder and a new pack of batteries will save you ££££s

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Seems there are going to be exceptions, it does seem cars now use some sort of common computer connection and it no longer needs dealer only to reset engine management.

The whole reason why the Landrover was loved world wide was you could repair it. Not so today, it needs a computer plugging in to work out what has gone wrong.

Although on-board computers are a curse for all home mechanics, most car manufacturers adopted a standard plug system for fault code reading about 20 years ago. I have a cheapo (£50) pocket-sized plug in device for my modern(ish) Land Rover that lets me read the codes and work out what it thinks is wrong with it before I decide if I need to bother a garage. It also works on our even older VW.

OP
OP
E
Bosch wont be using anything special re their batteries, just good quality branded Samsung/Panasonic/LG etc. Time spent researching, investing in a spot welder and a new pack of batteries will save you ££££s
Apparently the batteries can be replaced OK but if you do then the BMS will have bricked itself - or something like that.
Bosch say it is for safety reasons because things can go badly wrong if you don;t know what you are doing or make a mistake. Personally I think they should allow professionals to have the information to refurbish the batteries without triggering the electronics to brick themselves - but, of course, they have a profit incentive to keep such information to themselves.

CXRAndy

Guru
Apparently the batteries can be replaced OK but if you do then the BMS will have bricked itself - or something like that.
Bosch say it is for safety reasons because things can go badly wrong if you don;t know what you are doing or make a mistake. Personally I think they should allow professionals to have the information to refurbish the batteries without triggering the electronics to brick themselves - but, of course, they have a profit incentive to keep such information to themselves.
Thats why I will never buy a Bosch ebike. I dont like being held to manufacturers for such relatively simple electronics

Drago

Legendary Member
Although on-board computers are a curse for all home mechanics, most car manufacturers adopted a standard plug system for fault code reading about 20 years ago. I have a cheapo (£50) pocket-sized plug in device for my modern(ish) Land Rover that lets me read the codes and work out what it thinks is wrong with it before I decide if I need to bother a garage. It also works on our even older VW.
I bought a Volvo specific one that does the engine but also covers transmission, ABS, stability system, aircon, multiplexed accessories, etc. It can also read, clear, initialise, program and calibrate new components and modules. It was £130, but has paid for itself 3 or 4 times over.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can you still buy handle bars with the bearing for the rod brakes? Can you still get the wheels even?
Westwood rims are still available, as are the handlebars with the brake levers mounted. Even the brake levers are still available.

keithmac

Guru
Interesting, so the government will need to allow quartz bulbs for lamps which can't take LED for 7 years after the lamps no longer made? It seems that's not the case, and quartz bulbs are being discontinued. So those with G9 bulbs have a problem.

Seems there are going to be exceptions, it does seem cars now use some sort of common computer connection and it no longer needs dealer only to reset engine management.

However with an e-bike I note mine I can alter to use twist grip control by pressing up/down buttons together and scrolling through the options, so I can make the e-bike illegal for UK use without need of a tool, not sure if this is really what should be allowed? I found out how to change from kph to mph, but so many other options.

What I want to try is how well will the walk assist work with the Bosch to allow motor to push one without peddling? Too steep here to really test it out, but once third party assess permitted then would be easy I suspect to alter so can ride without peddling. Mine already has that option, and it is so tempting to enable it.

That's OBD2 Diagnostics and manufacturers were forced to allow 3rd party access due to emissions regulations (anybody should be able to diagnose and repair faults that negatively affect the emissions output).

Main Dealer diagnostics are far superior mind, I have the Ford kit for our Kuga (IDS) same as Drago has Volvo specific kit.

Normally OBD2 just lets you read and reset DCTs, factory kit connects to High and Medium speed CanBus lines etc to read all modules.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are many aftermarket scan tools, the higher end just as comprehensive in functionality as the OE kit.

I have an USA import vehicle and it needed a code reset via Fords diag software.

I purchased a Chinese kit which did exactly the same job but for far far less.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
There are many aftermarket scan tools, the higher end just as comprehensive in functionality as the OE kit.

I have an USA import vehicle and it needed a code reset via Fords diag software.

I purchased a Chinese kit which did exactly the same job but for far far less.
Me too. Mine is a pretty comprehensive reader and will reset codes as well as do some useful functions like encoding new keys. It doesn't do the more complex and clever reprogramming and adjustments that a more expensive one would, but I tend to leave that kind of thing to the professionals.

Top Bottom