Right up my allez...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
So, after about 3yrs of cycling I decided to sell my trusty old Carrera and upgrade. Got a 2010 Specialized (the one with the carbon forks which was what I was after) and took a day off work to check it out. All I can say is amazing - 'twas like floating on air! Until I pulled the brakes and realized that they barely worked! What a bike though. Light, fast, good looking. Needed a tweak on the gears as not properly indexed and chain slipped off highest gear. Replaced stem for shorter one and will get some decent brake blocks. Otherwise, happy days! Bring on the spring.

Completely boring account I know but just had to say it. Think I'll be out on it again tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:bicycle:

Whats not to like?

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Maybe consider new calipers, e.g. 105s if the new pads don't do the trck

Thanks Vickster, I'll bear that in mind. On my last bike I just threw on some basic Clarke's pads andthst seemed to make a world of difference. If not though I will look at getting some new 105s as you helpfully suggest.

Pretty hairy this morning as I tried the brakes out on a long and quite fast decent before realising how bad they were. I never learn...

Lol! Yes, I actually hesitated before I bought the bike for precisely this reason. However, just thought I'd put my prejudices behind me and focus on the bike.

Lol! Looks like anti-Allez man season has also just begun...
I like Allez man season. It signifies the start of the longer lighter days, and if you have to say "coming past on your right", you can be fairly sure if you call them Chris, or Colin, you've got their name right too.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Who needs brakes anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Vickster, I'll bear that in mind. On my last bike I just threw on some basic Clarke's pads andthst seemed to make a world of difference. If not though I will look at getting some new 105s as you helpfully suggest.

Pretty hairy this morning as I tried the brakes out on a long and quite fast decent before realising how bad they were. I never learn...
They don't need to be new, just in good nick. Keep an eye on the classifieds

Also keep the rims and pads spotlessly clean :smile:

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Just got back from a rather famous national cycle outlet - accidentally picked up MTB pads (duh!) but when I went back in the salesman exchanged for Clarke's Elite pads (two sets) without charging me extra! Can't complain about that, great service.

Pads on bike now and make world of difference. Thanks for advice everyone.

Nebulous

Guru
Im 5 minutes late with this answer, but I found new pads made a huge difference on my allez.

I was the opposite. I had a 2010 allez elite with 9 speed tiagra. I was never happy with the brakes, changed the pads, fiddled with the set-up, still didn't like them. Then I bought 105 calipers and what a difference they made. I never looked back. It was a while ago, but they weren't bank-breaking, about £45 for the pair if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom